North to South Spain May 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gradders

Regular
Hi, I’m currently committed to cycle solo from Santander to mijas, near Malaga in May 2020. Coast to coast, travelling approx. 790-miles over 12-14 days. The route is clearly planned. This is my first adventure bikepacking trip, since my student days in the 90’s.... I’m now 45. I’m a very Keen road cyclist, just In experienced carrying my wardrobe and the kitchen sink...
I’m currently seeking any fellow enthusiastic cyclists that maybe in Spain at the same time who I could meet up with to ride part/ all of the way or just have a coffee or beer with? Not use to cycling solo for such long periods so admittedly quite nervous... Grad

robjh

Legendary Member
That sounds like a great trip. I rode from Valencia to Santander last year in March-April, which was a bit early weather-wise, so I think May will be an ideal time to do it.
What are you feeling nervous about? Is it just lack of company for so long, or other newbie questions about touring?

Are you planning to visit Madrid? I've never cycled in from the north but coming in from the south was an ordeal.

And you probably know this already, but there's a Mijas (in the hills) and a Mijas Costa (by the sea), and if they're like similar places that I know better, perhaps the name Mijas is used for both. Just make sure you know which one you're heading for. Because if it should be the inland Mijas and you think you've finished when you arrive at the other, you'll have an unfortunate and unnecessary 5-mile-ish uphill slog to truly finish.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Good Lord! That is a lot of miles !!

Send me a message when you make it to Mijas, I live some 15 miles away from it and we can meet for a coffee or a beer depending on time of the day and weather..

1 piece of advice that works wonders for me with drivers in Spain is if you see that no one is coming from the other side and you have a car behind wave them forward and give them a thumbs up.. 90% of the time they give you plenty of space and a smile and gentle beep of the horn. Also helps to get your mind off the bike for a few seconds in such a long journey.

All the best!

MarkF

Guru
My daughter (18) is in her gap year and we may well be there, definitely Spain North to South, but route yet to be decided, will be a Santander south start or an Gijon start vaguely following the Ruta de la Plata.

However, I have done your proposed route before, but starting from Bilbao then onto Santander before heading Soutrh. I have cycled all over Spain and IMO, being so close to it's most beautiful region, you will be missing out. Cantabria is beautiful, but Asturias staggeringly so, they are worth seeing even if the trip takes you longer, or you have to take a train to catch up.

I usually do 40-45 leisurely miles a day in Spain, I like to look around, I also like to enjoy the late nights, then I can't get up in the morning..........

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm cycling Santander to Western Galicia via Cantabria and Asturias, over the next couple of weeks, and am heartened by @MarkF s endorsement of my route*
It sounds like he takes a similarly leisurely approach to time and distance, as well.

I wonder if you might reconsider, your route, cos the bits I've already seen of that area are pretty special.

(*tbh I haven't actually got a route, just a map, a compass, and a tent)

I love solo touring though, the total freedom and spontaneity.

(Freedom to get utterly lost, and no one need know:rolleyes:)

If I make it back, I'll annoy y'all with the photos :hello:

woodbutcher

Veteran

Send me a message when you make it to Mijas, I live some 15 miles away from it and we can meet for a coffee or a beer depending on time of the day and weather..

1 piece of advice that works wonders for me with drivers in Spain is if you see that no one is coming from the other side and you have a car behind wave them forward and give them a thumbs up.. 90% of the time they give you plenty of space and a smile and gentle beep of the horn. Also helps to get your mind off the bike for a few seconds in such a long journey.

All the best!
Good advice, l do the same in France !

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

All the best!
Above is good protocol in the twisty narrow lanes of Devon too :okay:

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
That sounds like a great trip. I rode from Valencia to Santander last year in March-April, which was a bit early weather-wise, so I think May will be an ideal time to do it.
What are you feeling nervous about? Is it just lack of company for so long, or other newbie questions about touring?
hi cheers for reply, yes, nervous about lack of company for So long. Think it's per ride nerves. I just want to get the ride done....

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular

All the best!
Cheers will do. Wife and kids meeting me in mijas at the end. staying there for a week after. Happy to meet for a beer to talk through the ride... Grad

IBarrett

Über Member
I would be interested in seeing where you come in towards Malaga because I have a place near Iznajar and might be in Spain in May so could perhaps come across and ride some miles with you.

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
My daughter (18) is in her gap year and we may well be there, definitely Spain North to South, but route yet to be decided, will be a Santander south start or an Gijon start vaguely following the Ruta de la Plata.

However, I have done your proposed route before, but starting from Bilbao then onto Santander before heading Soutrh. I have cycled all over Spain and IMO, being so close to it's most beautiful region, you will be missing out. Cantabria is beautiful, but Asturias staggeringly so, they are worth seeing even if the trip takes you longer, or you have to take a train to catch up.

I usually do 40-45 leisurely miles a day in Spain, I like to look around, I also like to enjoy the late nights, then I can't get up in the morning..........
cheers for reply. Yes, Santander start. Ferry Plymouth to Santander. Just waiting for Ferry to become available online to book. setting off 10/11 May 2020. Planning approx 50-60 miles a day average. Likewise to stop, enjoy places and the Spanish evenings en route. Route is planned with a back up plan B if needed. Happy to share route and if I'm same area, same time, happy to meet for a coffee or beer or a days ride.... Grad

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
I would be interested in seeing where you come in towards Malaga because I have a place near Iznajar and might be in Spain in May so could perhaps come across and ride some miles with you.
hi thanks for reply. Route changed slightly to suit time scales. Still finish in Mijas; however, touching the coast in Fuengirola before climbing Last 8/9km to Mijas to finish. In more detail my route over the last few days will drop from Rio De Palma, Ejcija, Osuna, Ej Saucejo, Almargen to Rhonda, Last night in El Burgo before dropping South to fuengirola, via yunquera and coin. Re dates I'll be in this area between 20-24 May 2020. If in the area happy to meet f or a coffee or beer or ride. Grad

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
Are you planning to visit Madrid? I've never cycled in from the north but coming in from the south was an ordeal.

And you probably know this already, but there's a Mijas (in the hills) and a Mijas Costa (by the sea), and if they're like similar places that I know better, perhaps the name Mijas is used for both. Just make sure you know which one you're heading for. Because if it should be the inland Mijas and you think you've finished when you arrive at the other, you'll have an unfortunate and unnecessary 5-mile-ish uphill slog to truly finish.
Thanks for reply, no not riding through Madrid. Heading to Salamanca from Santander before dropping South. Yes finishing in mijas, in the hills. My true coast to coast route will now finish in fuengirola before, as you said, turning North and cycling the last 8/9 km up hill to mijas to finish. Must be mad...

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
I'm cycling Santander to Western Galicia via Cantabria and Asturias, over the next couple of weeks, and am heartened by @MarkF s endorsement of my route*
It sounds like he takes a similarly leisurely approach to time and distance, as well.

I wonder if you might reconsider, your route, cos the bits I've already seen of that area are pretty special.

(*tbh I haven't actually got a route, just a map, a compass, and a tent)

I love solo touring though, the total freedom and spontaneity.

(Freedom to get utterly lost, and no one need know:rolleyes:)

If I make it back, I'll annoy y'all with the photos :hello:
good luck. Yes, from Santander im planning to ride to Cangas Dr On is before dropping South to Guardo, via Riano, to Palencia... Though Cantabria region. Definitely meant to be a special very scenic region. Looking forward to the photos. grad

Top Bottom