North to South Spain May 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
My daughter (18) is in her gap year and we may well be there, definitely Spain North to South, but route yet to be decided, will be a Santander south start or an Gijon start vaguely following the Ruta de la Plata.

However, I have done your proposed route before, but starting from Bilbao then onto Santander before heading Soutrh. I have cycled all over Spain and IMO, being so close to it's most beautiful region, you will be missing out. Cantabria is beautiful, but Asturias staggeringly so, they are worth seeing even if the trip takes you longer, or you have to take a train to catch up.

I usually do 40-45 leisurely miles a day in Spain, I like to look around, I also like to enjoy the late nights, then I can't get up in the morning..........
Hi forgot to mention first couple of days riding will be through Cantabria. Day one to Cangas de onis, day two Guardo via Riano. Day three to palencia then to Salamanca before dropping down the ruta de la plata..... Before getting off near Zafra to Llerena Badajoz. Then to constantina, Palma de Rio, Ecija, Osuna, Rhonda, El burgo.... To Fuengirola before finishing in Mijas. Grad

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It is.. I've just arrived at my most westerly destination near a cořuna.. I rather fancy a nice cup of tea now..

If you like hills you'll love it.. I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked though.
You don't want to stop on the uphill, or the downhills.. And on the flat you just want to be getting on with it.. :bicycle:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
hi thanks for reply. Route changed slightly to suit time scales. Still finish in Mijas; however, touching the coast in Fuengirola before climbing Last 8/9km to Mijas to finish. In more detail my route over the last few days will drop from Rio De Palma, Ejcija, Osuna, Ej Saucejo, Almargen to Rhonda, Last night in El Burgo before dropping South to fuengirola, via yunquera and coin. Re dates I'll be in this area between 20-24 May 2020. If in the area happy to meet f or a coffee or beer or ride. Grad

Wait a minute there buddy!

If you ride El Burgo, Yunquera, (8 km climb there) then is a 15 km downhill to Tolox crossing... Slight downhill to Guaro crossing and more downhill till Coin round about. 2 km uphill to Coin itself... From here no need to head down to Fuengirola. Cross Coin and head up to mijas, 10 km of ups and downs before you get to your destination and about 8 km less of riding.

Keep me post it! I live in Coin!!

MarkF

Guru
Hi forgot to mention first couple of days riding will be through Cantabria. Day one to Cangas de onis, day two Guardo via Riano. Day three to palencia then to Salamanca before dropping down the ruta de la plata..... Before getting off near Zafra to Llerena Badajoz. Then to constantina, Palma de Rio, Ecija, Osuna, Rhonda, El burgo.... To Fuengirola before finishing in Mijas. Grad
Palencia is a real oddball place to spend a day. Salamanca is gorgeous.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would be interested in seeing where you come in towards Malaga because I have a place near Iznajar and might be in Spain in May so could perhaps come across and ride some miles with you.
Have just cycled through Iznajar. Lovely place. Though full of English people ;)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

And you'll probs meet lots of nice people along the way as well.. I have done. .

I picked up a German, riding and camping companion for a couple of days, who had roughly the same approach to the need for speed, and importance of leisurely lunch stops.

Nice to have someone to share my birthday pizza with too.

Everyone is very welcoming, and hospitable. even though they must see thousands of tourists every year.

My Spanish has improved a bit..
But still very far from impressive :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
Wait a minute there buddy!

If you ride El Burgo, Yunquera, (8 km climb there) then is a 15 km downhill to Tolox crossing... Slight downhill to Guaro crossing and more downhill till Coin round about. 2 km uphill to Coin itself... From here no need to head down to Fuengirola. Cross Coin and head up to mijas, 10 km of ups and downs before you get to your destination and about 8 km less of riding.

Keep me post it! I live in Coin!!
Thanks, will do. Reason for getting to fuengirola is to complete a true coast to coast. Agreed it seems crazy but it'll niggle me that I didn't touch the sea.... Will keep you posted. Grad

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
Love that area.
appreciate we all probably aim to keep our weight down on the bikes however.... I will be carrying x10 Yorkshire tea bags! (20grams) Need my cuppa in the morning. 😁 good luck riding....keep posting the photos.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
appreciate we all probably aim to keep our weight down on the bikes however.... I will be carrying x10 Yorkshire tea bags! (20grams) Need my cuppa in the morning. 😁 good luck riding....keep posting the photos.
Definitely essential if you're a 'proper' tea addict.

I carry loose leaf black tea, milk powder, a small filter, and stove for boiling the water..

The Spanish hospitality is great but our need for a proper big mug (or three) of strongish tea hasn't quite translated.. Hereabouts yet.

Tea leaves instead of bags means you don't have a bag disposal problem..

OP
OP
Gradders

Gradders

Regular
Definitely essential if you're a 'proper' tea addict.

I carry loose leaf black tea, milk powder, a small filter, and stove for boiling the water..

The Spanish hospitality is great but our need for a proper big mug (or three) of strongish tea hasn't quite translated.. Hereabouts yet.

View attachment 489472

Tea leaves instead of bags means you don't have a bag disposal problem..
Valid point.... Didn't think. Good idea. Kit list now up dated. 😁👍

Top Bottom