North West Passage 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I'm considering this audax. I need to book the night before off work first, then decide if I'm mad enough to go for the full fat 210km, 130 mile beast or if the 120 km 75 mile "mini" (Ha ha!) version is ride enough...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did the full-metal NWP 3 years ago but modified the route to skip 75 km of A-roads. It meant a lot of riding around nice little lanes by myself but otherwise the full NWP is a bit of an A-road-fest. Fine if you like that kind of thing and sensible for the last week in February, but not really my cup of tea.

I also didn't like riding over the last few hills back to Rochdale in the cold and dark. You might be fast enough to get round in daylight Svendo, but I'm not.

The last couple of years I rode the mini-NWP instead. I did it by myself in 2008 and last year I rode with a bunch of CycleChatters on a slightly modified route - my write-up here. Both times riding fron HB to Rochdale and back again afterwards, making it more of a midi-NWP at 104 miles (167 km).

I'm hoping to persuade colly and Calum to join me again and one or two others have expressed interest. If you are happy to go at a slower pace on the shorter route, you'd be welcome to join me/us. If not, the chaingang awaits you for an A-road burn-up!

zacklaws

Guru
Colin, I'm still interested in joining you on some of your hilly rides, preferably the longer ones and when the days are longer as well to justify the travelling distance. Ideally plenty of notice in advance as I work shifts including some weekends as well so that I can book leave as need be as I cannot usually get leave at the drop of a hat.

moolarb

Might give the mini-NWP a go - not sure I'm man enough for the full monty and don't like the sound of an A-road fest (B-roads are bad enough, the smaller and quieter the better if you ask me).

longers

Legendary Member
If it's the last weekend in Feb then I can't make it :biggrin:

The pie, peas and pint were excellent last year :tongue:

ColinJ

longers said:
If it's the last weekend in Feb then I can't make it :bravo:

The pie, peas and pint were excellent last year :evil:
It's the weekend before - Saturday 20th February (not Sunday like most events!), details here.

Colly, Calum and I didn't have time to tackle the pie and peas because we wanted to ride back to Hebden Bridge in daylight (we just made it).

zacklaws said:
Colin, I'm still interested in joining you on some of your hilly rides, preferably the longer ones and when the days are longer as well to justify the travelling distance. Ideally plenty of notice in advance as I work shifts including some weekends as well so that I can book leave as need be as I cannot usually get leave at the drop of a hat.
Well, this one is only 2.5 weeks away now.

I think we did about 2,000 m of climbing on our extended 167 km version which included a scenic diversion that I found near Whalley. Instead of taking A-roads round towards Blackburn we basically rode over some nice hills on quiet lanes instead.

moolarb said:
Might give the mini-NWP a go - not sure I'm man enough for the full monty and don't like the sound of an A-road fest (B-roads are bad enough, the smaller and quieter the better if you ask me).
Another kindred spirit! Even on the mini-NWP there is quite a lot of main road riding but the middle section in the Ribble Valley is really nice.

PS If anybody comes along with us, you won't have to worry about finding your way. I'm pretty familiar with the route, but I will also be using my GPS for navigation backup.

longers

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
It's the weekend before - Saturday 20th February (not Sunday like most events!), details here.

I'm not avoiding you Colin*, but that's the day after our works belated Christmas Do, I doubt I will be able to stay sober enough to go out the next day.

*honest!

trio25

Über Member
I can't make it :-( Racing that day! Work most saturdays as well anyway. I need them to be on sundays! Shame as I loved it last year!

Carboncyclestore

Ive ridden the full NWP a few times.

It is a stiff test for an early season ride and as mentioned the finish is hilly.

We always finish in the dark because we (Southport CC) always have fairly lengthy stops at Settle and Scorton.

With my lack of miles due to the snow I am defo giving it a miss this year,its not to be underestimated.

I think its a nice route apart from the main road from Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale,thats just no fun at all.

If you have the legs then go for it!!

ColinJ

Carboncyclestore said:
I think its a nice route apart from the main road from Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale,thats just no fun at all.
That's why I did my own thing!

I got off the A-roads between Gisburn and Settle by going via Wigglesworth and Rathmell.

After Settle, I rode via Armistead, Keasden, High Bentham, Burton in Lonsdale before dropping back onto the A65 near Ireby for about 3 miles. That was enough of it for me!

From Kirkby Lonsdale, I took the official A683 route to Caton but then rode to Scorton via Quernmore, Five Lane Ends and Bantons.

I think I stuck to the official route from Scorton except somebody showed me a diversion round the back of a car showroom just before Whitebirk roundabout which was quite handy!

My route came in at 213 km with extra climbing. Mind you, I decided to DNF with about 3 km of that to go because there was a Hebden Bridge-bound train due in just after I arrived at Rochdale station. I couldn't face the ride back home after the pie and peas so I hopped on the train with my bike instead. :sad:

cyclecraig

I agree the route from the 1st stop at Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale is a bit grim.

Im still planning to ride it but may duck out for the Mini NWP after missing out on valuble training due to the white stuff.The 1st time I did the Full NWP I was not at 100% and it was a horrible afternoon/evening in the saddle.I vowed I would only ever do it again if I knew I was going reasonably well.

The 2nd time I did it I really enjoyed it,we had great weather as well which helped!

If I do do it though I will look into ColinJs alternative route!

ColinJ

cyclecraig said:
I agree the route from the 1st stop at Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale is a bit grim.

Im still planning to ride it but may duck out for the Mini NWP after missing out on valuble training due to the white stuff.The 1st time I did the Full NWP I was not at 100% and it was a horrible afternoon/evening in the saddle.I vowed I would only ever do it again if I knew I was going reasonably well.

The 2nd time I did it I really enjoyed it,we had great weather as well which helped!

If I do do it though I will look into ColinJs alternative route!
I'll stick it on Bikely for you this evening so you can take a closer look at it!

Top Bottom