North West Passage 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moolarb

ColinJ - any chance you could post the alternative route for the mini-NWP? Cheers.

moolarb

thanks Colin, much appreciated.

is your route slightly hillier than the official route?

what are the steepest hills that I need to look out for? do you know what the steepest is (%)? I'm usually OK to about 15%.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
moolarb said:
thanks Colin, much appreciated.

is your route slightly hillier than the official route?

what are the steepest hills that I need to look out for? do you know what the steepest is (%)? I'm usually OK to about 15%.
You didn't look at last year's thread did you! ;)

Anyway, here is a link to the post where I displayed the profiles.

You can see the extra hill I inserted. It's a steady climb but not severe. I don't think there is anything worse than 15%.

Actually, there was one short steep climb from a bridge in a little river valley. That might have been 20% but only for a hundred yards or so. Colly ripped his big sprocket through the splines of his hub on that one! His legs were spinning round but the bike wasn't moving!

Most of the climbs are either long drags or moderately steep short ones.

moolarb

forecast is very cold for Saturday - the way it's looking I can't see it being above freezing at the start

don't fancy icy roads so might make a decision late on Friday

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Just back from a quick 25 miles Rochdale-Lumbutts-Mankinholes (numbbutts and mankyholes?)-Todmorden-Littleborough-Rochdale and although the Calder Valley was beautiful with all the hoar frost on the trees and snow a bit higher up, can't believe how chilly I am after just an hour and a half with everything on!
I've taken Friday night off work for the NWP so I'll try and brave the Mini route but I think cold and fitness (lack of) rule out the Maxi route.

goodspeed

Hi Ed! I sent my entry off yesterday so should be joining you on the "Mini". I think it's enough for this time of year. I went out on Sunday and got numb toes after about an hour; so will just see how it goes. Might end up making it an ultra mini :angry:

ColinJ

It's pretty sheltered down here in the valley which is clear of snow and ice but I've just been out to the shops and saw a car with about 4 inches of snow on the roof so it has obviously been snowing hard somewhere 'on the tops' round here!

I am planning to enter on the line on Saturday if the weather is tolerable. It could be pretty grim up at the top of the A682 in wintry conditions though!

I'll check the forecast on Friday evening and make a decision then. Mind you, I reserve the right to change my mind if I wake up to a blizzard on Saturday! ;)

amrushton

I was out over that way on Sunday and it was v.cold. Still snow on Pen-y-Ghent. Not too bad in the Colne area but as the day wore on, it never really got warmer. If we turn out it may just be the mini NWP

moolarb

I'll keep checking the forecast but I don't think I'll be doing this now. It's not worth taking the risk on the roads in these conditions. Might take the MTB out instead, the ground should be nice and firm.

ColinJ

moolarb said:
I'll keep checking the forecast but I don't think I'll be doing this now. It's not worth taking the risk on the roads in these conditions. Might take the MTB out instead, the ground should be nice and firm.
I crashed on ice on my MTB 3 times in an hour on New Year's Day once so I don't think that will be any safer! :laugh:

trio25

Über Member
I prefer to be on my mtb as then I am off-road, I might still come off on ice but at least there are no cars around to hit me!

Top Bottom