North West Passage 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goodspeed

Just wondering, if it's dodgy on higher ground are there any escape routes on the Mini? Maybe an 'A' road, low road ride or something at least.
I'm trying to be optimistic.:biggrin: It seems a shame to not attempt any of it, even if it's only for the pie & peas!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The mini-NWP takes A-roads round to Gisburn so they should all be okay. It's the scenic section between Gisburn and Mitton Green that might cause a few problems.

ETA at Gisburn should be around 11:15 and there are supposed to be some sunny spells on Saturday so hopefully any little icy patches will have melted by the time we get there.

Exercise caution descending to the bridge over the Ribble by Gisburne Park. It is at the bottom of a steep sided little dip which is just the kind of sheltered spot where ice could linger on.

After Mitton Green it is B-roads and A-roads all the way back to Rochdale so they should also be okay too. (I suggest you avoid my scenic hilly detour from Whalley if there is a lot of ice about.)

ColinJ

goodspeed said:
Thanks Colin, that's reassuring. I don't mean to backtrack on my optimism, but I've just looked outside and the road's totally covered.:biggrin:
It is still clear this side of the Hill!

The scenic bit of the MNWP is the nicest part and skipping it would mean bombing down the busy A59 to Clitheroe which wouldn't be much fun, especially if it was snowing!

I think that we are going to have to make a provisional decision tomorrow evening with a confirmation or cancellation on Saturday morning depending on what we wake up to!

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Today went to Denshaw from Newhey, over windy hill and then up Cragg Vale. Due to some important experiments involving Tequila and Whiskey the night before I didn't get out til 1pm. By then though the roads were fine, all the damp bits were wet rather than icy. I did stick to main roads though. If going out, what time do people anticipate being at the start?

ColinJ

Martin (goodspeed) has just PM'd me to say that he won't be doing it and I think I'll chicken out too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the route is actually okay but I'm not very fit at the moment and I'd be going much slower than everybody else so either I'd be riding alone or people would be getting cold hanging back for me.

If I'd already paid then I'd probably have made the effort but I haven't and I'd have rail fares to pay on top so I can save myself £10 or so and have a lie in! If the weather is okay, I might nip out for a while later on.

Those of you made of sterner stuff - enjoy the ride and let us know how you got on.

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
I'm still going to brave it for the mini NWP, although I'll probably stick to the vanilla rather than scenic route. Saying that I have noted some possible big roundabout bypasses, including the one I think you were mentioning Colin, whilst studying the route on Biketoaster. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm back, hopefully before dark!

ColinJ

Drat... I enjoyed my lie-in and it was icy and bitterly cold when I finally got up but it's an absolutely lovely day up here now! I ended up going for a stroll but I couldn't help thinking how nice it would have been out on my bike.

So, how was the MNWP?

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
It was great but COLD. all routine and familiar to Burnley, then up and over through thick fog most of the way to Gisburn, although geat scenic fog and snow views when the sun did break through. I put my specs in my back pocket as they were chronically fogged and completely useless, much less blurry without. I tagged onta a group of fast guys from West Pennine from Gisburn to the control at Waddington, which was good as they knew the way through the lanes and were being very carefull about watching out for ice. There were a few places wher snowy ice encroached into the road quite a bit but didn't notice any real black ice and didn't have any problems. They carried on at the control but I stopped and had some much needed lunch, my legs had been burning keeping up with the fast guys sprinting up the little hills and rises. Set off solo from the cafe then caught up with a nice bloke from Preston somewhere around Whalley, and enjopyed the frosty scenery on the climb towards Blackburn. He knew the cut around that big motorway roundabout ColinJ was on about, which I probably would have sailed past while I thought 'Is that the turning Coplin mentioned?'. Bit of a slog then to Haslingden, but once I could see Scout Moor wind farm I knew exactly how far I had to go and got a bit of a second wind, so pulled away on my own up Owd Betts, a healthy 40 mph in 30 mph zone down through Norden then back to Spring Inn on the route I take from work to home. Arrived ther about 2.30 for my pie and peas, lovely. Had a chat with the West Pennine guys who'd not stopped and they were a bit suprised I was back so soon after them even with a lunch stop. Which was good. 74.18 miles, 4475 feet ascent and 5 Hours 2 Minutes ride time (14.7 mph average). Too bloody cold to have done the 130 miler even if I was fit enough.

ColinJ

Sounds great, but I think I made the right decision! :biggrin:

When I made my previous post I noticed the time (14:17) and thought that you'd be arriving back about that time, you being pretty nippy. When a group of us rode the event last year, we got back to HQ about 15:45 (I think) but we'd lost 20+ minutes when Calum punctured.

Top Bottom