North West Passage Audax, 18 Feb - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Well done on getting through it DCLane, sounds eventful to say the least.
If your kit is gonna let you down, you can guarantee it will do so in the rain, so the lessons learnt today will fare you well for future rides. :thumbsup:
I always worry when I've just fitted something new or done some fettling before a big ride, that reminds me, must go and check the rear gear cable I fitted the other day is OK for tomorra :unsure:

Svendo

Guru
Just in. Managed the 200kms after all. Signed up at the start, just in time so sorry YahudaMoon, didn't have time to try and ID you. I had a red Altura top and a black Storck bike with no mudguards (this was commented on!) It started raining just about 8am and hammered down properly until about 10ish. There was a big main group that I kept up with (staying at the rear mostly due to lack of guards and innate politeness) until I needed to stop for a 'rest break' on the climb out of Blacko, tried quite hard but didn't come near to catching. So from Gisburn I did Colin's scenic route, which I think took a lot longer than riding in a group down the A road.

The stretch from Settle to Kirby Lonsdale and then to where you turn South was very hard work, rolling terrain with mostly headwind. Being out of step (that is behind) with most other riders, and faster than those I was catching up with I was mostly on my own. I did get on with a group for a bit north of Lancaster, doing a disorganized through and off, but they stopped at a garage. Strangely they didn't pass me but were already half way through their tea and cake at the Scorton cafe (The Barn, I seem to recall discussion here[?] about the Priory becoming distinctly unfriendly to cyclists.), which was annoying and weird. I think they may have taken a canny route past Lancaster, where the traffic was slow for a bit.

For the second half I did the official route, the A6 was OK, lots of cycle lane and it's a wide two lane road anyway. I actually enjoyed the opportunity to get a good few miles on nicely surfaced road with a mainly tailwind that are FLAT! Enjoyed the quieter section from the A6 through Ribchester and then over Haslingden old road, and it was from the beginning of there I was gradually more and more on home turf.

As I was riding Hasilingden Old Road just as it becomes countryside, I saw a bird which I assumed was a crow startled by my approach suddenly take off from the left pavement, like they do. I soon noticed it was I think a Kestrel with most of a dead crow or a whole Blackbird in its beak. It normally would have been off and gone, but with the cargo and the strong cross tailwind that hit it as it rose above the hedge line, it had to dip back down so flew along in front of me as I rode for a good 20 metres before being able to escape over the far hedge into a field. One of those magic nature moments.

Once through Haslingden itself actually felt quite strong and pushed on a bit. Think I'd kept myself well fed and had been pacing myself but probably mostly because I knew exactly what was ahead. Just on the ride up to Edenfield had a ten minute hail storm with lightning! When it cleared though the red setting sun shone through and there was a lovely bit of sunset over my shoulder.
Then a quick blast downhill through Norden and across Rochdale, joining my commuting route to return to the Sprint Inn for Pie and Peas, which this year was a buffet with chips and red cabbage and help yourself! I got back after most of the riders who'd been in groups, which is no suprise really, but did manage a 16 mph average on road speed, which is better than my optimistic target of 15 mph for that sort of distance (i.e. my 2nd 200k Audax).

trio25

Über Member
Svendo I remember seeing you at the start.

Some of the weather was crazy but I had a great day. Was probably with the third group on the road till it went uphill somewhere after Tod, I am a rubbish climber. By this point I was cold and obviously hadn't eaten enough so stopped put an extra layer on and ate something. I was very glad to reach the first control in Settle. Here the sun came out, only to be replaced by hail on the climb out of Settle. I rode a lot of the time on my own but had patches with others and led a few back through Rochdale, thanks Garmin

Very tired now, will blog tomorrow.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done to you too trio!

I don't mind making a big effort on the bike in okay weather conditions, but I don't think it is sensible for me to try and do it in bad weather while I am this unfit. I'd just end up miles from home and very, very cold. When I was fit, I could generate enough power to keep me warm by riding hard, and I'd only be out for 1/2 - 2/3 of the time I would be now!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I missed my train and got to the start for the 213 km with 10 minutes to spare. I was wrong about the forecast lol. I think it rained for 120 km of the event and my feet was numb with cold all the way round, not to mention my hands going numb part the way round. My toes on my left foot are still numb 24 hours laters :sad:

I was the guy in my club jersey Svendo (Manchester Wheelers) and I was cycling with you up to Todmorden and I commented on your lovely Stork at Settle.

I did a resonable time though you do go faster to try and keep warm. Some freinds said I looked so cold and ill at Kirby in Lonsdale they advised me to get on my bike to try and keep warm lol

I think we had a head wind 3/4 the way round and I was so happy the hail stone only lasted a short period the second time round or I would of proberbly baild out. I really can't handle cold weather that much.

It was so nice to meet so many friends on the audax it was as if everyone was out and I met a few new friends. I spent about 2 hours in the pub after chin wagging and watching the cycling world cup track so didnt get home till about 10pm !. Big thanks to Peter Bond and Bob for showing me the way back from the last control as I was struggling with that route sheet and a big thanks to Chris Wilby for giving me a set of bike lights for my commute bike to do a review

Just finished cleaning my bike and my new soft compound brake blocks I put on before the event on the front have been half eaten away lol

So Im primed for the rest of the season. Looking forward to a nice flat 200km audax on Sunday

Nice to meet you all :smile:

John

Svendo

Guru
I missed my train and got to the start for the 213 km with 10 minutes to spare. I was wrong about the forecast lol. I think it rained for 120 km of the event and my feet was numb with cold all the way round, not to mention my hands going numb part the way round. My toes on my left foot are still numb 24 hours laters :sad:

I was the guy in my club jersey Svendo (Manchester Wheelers) and I was cycling with you up to Todmorden and I commented on your lovely Stork at Settle.

Aha, you pointed out the rusty leakage from my headset (that sounds really iffy!). I've taken the stem off and put a layer of silicone grease beneath the conical seal/spacer thingy. I'll have to get the headset serviced in the spring/summer, or may just soldier on until it's displaying symptoms.
I thought the lightning and thunder was a nice touch in the second hail shower! Just when my feet had finally got back to very damp from completely squishy.
Looking through my data and I think the 135 mile total is the second or third furthest day I've had. Despite that I felt ok today and got out for a quick 28 miles.

trio25

Über Member

So Im primed for the rest of the season. Looking forward to a nice flat 200km audax on Sunday

Nice to meet you all :smile:

John

Hi we rode through lancaster together, I was the girl with the garmin.

Looking through my data and I think the 135 mile total is the second or third furthest day I've had. Despite that I felt ok today and got out for a quick 28 miles.

My legs were sore yesterday, no way were they up for riding. I even thought about not riding today, but don't fancy the train so will just ride slowly.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yes, I enjoyed this ride. Went up on the train. Saw DCL at the start and then introduced myself and set off in the main pack. Lovely mid section over some very full and fast rivers, there'd been a lot of rain round there. Great cafe stop (cheese on toast and apple and blackberry pie and custard) and my GPS worked a treat. This was the first time I'd used a down loaded route. It worked even better when I put my glasses on.
I plugged away in my own little world and sorry didn't realise DCL wasn't still there until much too late.
Felt good at the end, I considered riding home from Rochdale but didn't really know the best route, so I caught the train to Manchester and rode home from there.
Found a puncture in my front tyre when I looked at the bike yesterday, so went out on my 'bent instead !!
The organisation and hospitality was first class.

Top Bottom