North West Passage Audax, 18 Feb - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
If you do my lanes route, let me know what you think of it. I really liked it between Gisburn and Blackburn except a few miles either side of Kirkby Lonsdale where it seemed sensible to rejoin the official A-road route to avoid stupidly long diversions.

I've got both, 'Official' and 'Laney' in the GPS so can decide and mix'n'match as I feel at the time.
The porridge is pre-nuked BTW.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The Met Office and BBC forecasts are both talking about heavy rain all morning, drizzle in the afternoon, with cold 20+ mph winds gusting to 40+ mph!

Let us know how you get on! Hopefully, you will be okay, but if things do turn out really grim, you could always bale out onto the MNWP route at Gisburn and knock 100 kms off your day's ride.

Hi Colin

Your reading the wrong forecast ^^^^^ Thats the Hebden Bridge one lol. Bailing out ain't a option. I'll let you know how it goes

Im so looking forward to this as it's the start of a big cycling season for myself. Just sorting my bonk food out and pannier bag :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm doing a club run on Sunday, will keep eyes open for you Colin!
Incidentally, if you leave Puddleducks and go west on the road through Dunsop Bridge, you go over the bridge and turn sharp right up the bridleway by the war memorial than there is a marvellous ride up the Dunsop valley for about 3.5km to the fisheries weir at Footholm. It's paved all the way and pretty flat, there's just the occaisional speed bump IIRC. Hardly see a car on it as only the utility company and people living up that road can use it.
(I missed this post earlier.) That sounds interesting! We won't do it tomorrow because 'some of us' will already be pushed to get back in daylight and we won't need another 7 km on top of our 116. I will take a look at it when I'm round there again later in the year.

ColinJ

Hi Colin

Your reading the wrong forecast ^^^^^ Thats the Hebden Bridge one lol. Bailing out ain't a option. I'll let you know how it goes

Im so looking forward to this as it's the start of a big cycling season for myself. Just sorting my bonk food out and pannier bag :smile:
I also checked the Rochdale and Blackburn forecasts and they weren't much different! Let's face it - either it will turn out okay and we will be thinking that we should have done it, or it will be seriously hard for you guys and the rest of us will be glad we didn't do it! When Svendo told me that his bottle froze solid on last year's ride, I was glad that I'd stayed in bed!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Sunday ride now so no harm done other than yet again paying a few pounds out for a MNWP that I don't get to ride.

Have fun you lot! :hello:

ColinJ

Well, we certainly have the rain! It has been peeing down here since I woke up at 09:00 (I had a late night). The (M)NWP route passes through Todmorden which is only 4 miles down the road from here.

It is very murky so I'm struggling to see what the clouds are doing, but I was looking at the trees and bushes on the hillside opposite and they were motionless so it might be that the wind hasn't come down as low as the valley floor here which is at 100 m elevation.

Correction - that was 30 minutes ago. I just looked again and the tops of the trees are starting to sway. I'm certainly glad that I am not out on my bike at this time ... :rain:

ColinJ

Good luck to those riding. Horrible out there, and not a nice day for a bike ride.
Oops - the rain has stopped here and the clouds are blowing over! Looks like there might be sunny spells soon. Still - I bet it'll be hard work in the wind ...! :whistle:

ColinJ

A beautiful sunny day here now, and the wind is not too bad in the town centre. Hopefully those hardy souls who decided to ride the event anyway are now having a great time, having dried out from an early soaking!

No problem - the replacement forum ride tomorrow should be fun anyway.

ColinJ

Heavens have just opened here,Rain,sleet,hail.
Tomorrow sounds much better:sun:
The bad weather is very localised, isn't it! The sun is still shining here, though I did notice some black clouds on the horizon about 30 minutes ago ...

I just spoke to my sister in Towcester and she said that they were being battered by hail down there.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Just back home - my write-up:

Overall summary; hard work, wet, headwinds.

Some lessons learnt:

1. Read the directions. Then read them again. It took about 20 miles before I understood what they all were, after which it was better.
2. Don't pack too much kit. I did and my legs are regretting it. But spare socks would have been helpful since the spare pair of gloves were great once it'd stopped raining.
3. Test equipment once you fit it to the bike; the rack failed after about 5 miles. One person stopped, but by then I'd managed to fit it back on using an orange bungee strap and my lock. Also the cleats/pedals weren't properly set up; I'd only used them once since getting the Secteur and that clearly wasn't enough since neither fitted perfectly.
4. Make sure you've properly set up your bike before signing on; I hadn't and left both water bottles in the car :cursing:

I signed up and Tej (? spelt correct) from here said 'hello'. Didn't see any other CC-ers.
Weather wise it was wet. Very wet.

The start was fine and I tagged onto one of the front groups. However, after about 5 miles the front stays on the pannier rack failed, possibly not fitted correctly, with it falling back onto the road. I'd done that last night and hadn't tested it. Lesson learnt and 15 minutes wasted putting it back on in driving hail.
Nothing else seemed damaged and I couldn't fit them back without hassle, so rather than digging for tie straps I tied it back on with an orange bungee strap and my lock. This surprisingly worked well, but my thanks to the only person who stopped and offered to help.

I spent the next 30 miles catching up with people and going past, which was fine - making the control cafe in decent time. The rain cleared up by 11am and I'd swapped to my dry gloves.

However, the overshoes weren't waterproof and I'd got no spare socks. My feet were numb; which led to a fall in Nelson. No damage since it was very low speed. Cue two plastic wallets over the feet at Waddington to keep them dry, if not warm, for the rest of the trip.

In the cafe I met Tej again, and we went from Waddington to Whalley. At this point it felt hard going and Tej disappeared. I'd got a slow puncture and took about 20 minutes fixing it.

The rest of the 120km was pretty uneventful; I did almost all of the rest solo and got back in a total of 7 1/4 hours including stops. Surprisingly I didn't get lost at all, with two maps and the written directions assisting rather than a GPS.

Would I do it again? Probably, when it's warmer/drier.

Top Bottom