Northern accents could be gone by 2066

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9835049/Northern-accents-dying-DISAPPEAR-2066.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/northern-accents-could-wiped-out-24640409

I've noticed that the 'yoof' around here are developing a London 'gangstaaaa' type accent.:rolleyes: There's also a fairly big influx of people from the south of England moving here,due to 'cheap house prices'. Some seem quite offended when i ask where they are from.🧐 Not just northern accents,but i've read over the years of local accents and dialect disappearing all over Britain.

Your thoughts!🤔

I have been trying for years to get rid of mine.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I thought TV/Radio was generally blamed for the demise of local accents?

In the area I live, many of the "old" dialect words are disappearing from use, but, I suspect that is because many of them were associated with local heavy industry (mining, shipbuilding etc) which have now largely disappeared.

There is not a great demand for a cuddy (pit-pony) in your average call-centre ;)

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Accents are bound to evolve, but 45 years is far too short to have much impact. I had a "lancashire" accent up to the age of 20, but have lived and worked in london/Kent for the last 50 years and people still detect my accent.

One thing that 2066 will bring will be the biggest celebrations that England have ever seen. Especially if you live near Hastings.

stephec

Legendary Member
Accents are bound to evolve, but 45 years is far too short to have much impact. I had a "lancashire" accent up to the age of 20, but have lived and worked in london/Kent for the last 50 years and people still detect my accent.

One thing that 2066 will bring will be the biggest celebrations that England have ever seen. Especially if you live near Hastings.
What's Hastings connection to the world cup?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There has been massive migration across the UK and the world for the last 500-odf years. We still have local accents. They won't die in the next 30.

My nephew, aged about 25, can flip between broad Weegie when he's talking to the kids in the class he's teaching and educated Southern when he's talking to his mother. He was brought up in Essex and the outskirts of Glasgow.

Top Bottom