Northern accents could be gone by 2066

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I blame it on them Sputniks. Or Global Warming.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9835049/Northern-accents-dying-DISAPPEAR-2066.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/northern-accents-could-wiped-out-24640409

I've noticed that the 'yoof' around here are developing a London 'gangstaaaa' type accent.:rolleyes: There's also a fairly big influx of people from the south of England moving here,due to 'cheap house prices'. Some seem quite offended when i ask where they are from.🧐 Not just northern accents,but i've read over the years of local accents and dialect disappearing all over Britain.

Your thoughts!🤔

Accents change all the time, it’s a natural progression. When you next have twenty minutes, (undisturbed, to give this your full attention) I thoroughly recommend listening to this representation of the London accent through the centuries from the 14th to the 21st. It’s a fascinating and entertaining study of the development of the way people speak.

See how much you can understand of the early monologues. I found them a bit tricky at first but I soon got my ear in. Let me know what you think.

View: https://youtu.be/3lXv3Tt4x20

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Amongst my other talents, I actually worked for many years in the accent/dialect world (in academia) ... in my humble opinion, the research is flawed, and the reporting is so simplistic, it makes me fume ^_^

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I think we'll lose out culturally with the loss of local dialects. The youngsters are being exposed to many more vocal variations i fear that those variations will be smeared into a sort of global English .

vickster

Legendary Member
I blame the parents ;)
Apparently I sound very similar to my mother

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some seem quite offended when i ask where they are from.🧐
One i asked had what sounded like a Derby accent. How would i know what a derby accent sounds like one may ask? 🤔 Well,there's a bloke in the local gym who comes from Derby, so on hearing this woman speak i thought i was being clever and she'd be amazed when i asked if she was from around Derby. Instead she said,"No i'm from Stoke" and seemed a bit offended. Ok,cool it bitch,i'm only asking..i thought.:unsure:

yello

My accent's a bit of a heinz (mutt) from having moved around as a kid. Fnarr, and those similarly tuned, might be able to unpick it (as there's some locating vowel sounds in there) but generally speaking people don't usually know where I'm from. Like many people, I'm chameleon-like (linguists call it 'accomodation') and will subconsciously adopt accent features of whoever I'm talking to.

My wife's natural South Wales/London/home counties blend becomes dead 70s Swansea when she talks with her brother... and they ham it up a bit (well, a lot)!

Accents change and most of us naturally accommodate when we move to a new area. It can take dedication to retain your born accent (swimming against a tide) Think of yourself as bilingual and switch accents depending on context.

Dialects and accents here are so impenetrable that people have trouble understanding others, and thy're holding strong. I'm having to relearn dialect words and tune into the local accent for Freiburg having moved from Stuttgart, a mere 150k away. I've heard of people from two different regions speaking English because it's easier than trying to speak "proper" German.

My kids, who hardly spoke German before starting Kindergarten, now speak the local dialect when talking to each other.

This may be because Germany is more regionalised than the UK: it wasn't unified until the 1800's in any meaningful way and it is still federal with the states operating like little countries: people's local identities are very strong.

Top Bottom