Northern accents could be gone by 2066

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
This is another conundrum, where does the North begin ( England not UK} I have always regarded anything South of Sheffield as the Midlands, but don't know if there is an official description.

And where do the Midlands start and end ?
If, approximately, we say it is 400 miles, as the crow flies, from Scotland/England border, to South Coast, that would imply to me, 3 “bands” of 135 miles. So, your “border” of Sheffield, would be about right. Personally, I always think the Midlands start after Teeside ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Interesting, though cheshire never seems quite northern to me - sometimes seems like a bit of surrey transplanted.
Yes, I'd agree but think this is a relatively recent change. The older generations, 20+ years older than me, where very definitely not Surrey. The younger are more cosmopolitan for want of a better word.

The closer to Manchester in the county the greater that influence.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I agree entirely with this but in reverse. I was born and raised in Hampshire and despite 40+ years in Yorkshire and, mainly, Lancashire my accent hasn't changed a bit. I've picked up words and phrases but not the accent. My kids though all speak Lancashire.

A few months back myself and three friends were riding through local lanes. I spotted an old friend I hadn't seen for two years walking ahead of us. I said something on the lines of "Look there's ....." When we stopped she said "The moment I heard your voice I knew it could only be you."

I sometimes wish it would soften into something more local.
I work with a woman who's originally from Hampshire. Her southern accent is obvious and clear... but she's lived in Lancaster since she was 9 years old. 15 years up north hasn't dented her accent one little bit :okay:

yello

Some people do retain their accents. I wonder what that says about them? And I am most definitely NOT suggesting anything negative in asking that. Perhaps they have a solid self-confidence, are comfortable with themselves.... whatever.

Then of course you have those that strive to maintain their accents, swimming against the tide, working so hard to keep it that they end up with an exaggerated version of the original. Sometimes referred to as 'professional' scousers/cockneys/whatever.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm northern - have never heard the word "backend" used for autumn.
Have you @Accy cyclist ?
Yes,i have. My mum used to say "Eee,it's like t'backend"(back end of summer), when referring to the days getting shorter and cooler, caused by summer ending and autumn being on its way. She also had another favourite which was "Well,the nights are drawing in", referring to more or less the same thing. If she'd started to say it in September it wouldn't have been so bad, but some years she'd start saying it in July!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom