northern rock cyclone anyone else doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Capt. Jon

Jonathan M said:
No they don't, but then they don't get a name emblasoned across the signage without spending money either. Seems "indiscreet" that they can be in such deep shoot financially and still sponsor events?

I suspect the money was agreed and handed over before the bank collapsed. Like most sponsorship deals it was probably for x years (the sponsorship of NUFC runs until 2010) and these things can't just be pulled. The money may even have come from the Northern Rock Foundation.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Capt. Jon said:
I suspect the money was agreed and handed over before the bank collapsed. Like most sponsorship deals it was probably for x years (the sponsorship of NUFC runs until 2010) and these things can't just be pulled. The money may even have come from the Northern Rock Foundation.

It's not from NRF, but from Northern Rock itself. They were committed to the sponsorship and as you say, they can't pull out until after next year.

Chris James

Über Member
Well Flying Monkey, I don't know if you rode the Cyclone in the end, but I know Fnaar did as we met at the finish. It's funny that we both spent all day looking for fellow Cycle Chat jersey bearers and only came across each other as we were setting off for home.

It was nice to meet James (Fnaar), not least because I found out he is fellow Everton supporter. James, I hope you managed to make it home without having had your bacon butty!

I enjoyed the event, especially watching the guys on full carbon road bikes get off as they hit the foot of the Ryals. I briefly felt smug as I continued to ride up on my audax bike. I felt less smug when I realised that the people walking appeared to actually be going faster than I was cycling uphill!

OP
OP
A

ash68

really enjoyed the ride yesterday, unfortunalty didn't get to meet any cc forumers on the way round. We were really lucky with the weather as there had been showers elsewhere in the district. A great event , well organized with good food stops. We were the first group at the first timing station and whilst all the lads there were willing to hand out water no one seemed to have a timing tool to dib into. We stopped and asked to be dibbed in but no one seemed to know what we were on about. Consequently we don't have a split time for the first 25 miles.. Just a slight grumble on my part. However all the people at the event were giving up their time for us to enjoy the day so I am very thankfull for their help and support. Thanks to peter and his team for another great event .

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ash68 said:
We were the first group at the first timing station and whilst all the lads there were willing to hand out water no one seemed to have a timing tool to dib into. We stopped and asked to be dibbed in but no one seemed to know what we were on about.
Was that just before Forestburn Gate? If so, they were supremely organised by the time I got there... food, dibbing, the lot.

Also, saw a nasty 'off' just after Netherwitton.. a chap with 1 false leg who'd come off somehow, (didn't see it happen, but got there soon after... lots of 'claret' as they say... very good to see the amount of care and attention the poor chap was getting... hope he was ok, it looked very nasty.... :ohmy:

see also http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14066

Chris James

Über Member
Yeah, I saw a guy sat at the side of the road with blood pouring off his head early on. Presumably (hopefully!) the same one. By the time I got there a police car was telling warning people to avoid him and shortly afterwards an ambulance was tearing the opposite direction.

In some ways I am surprised there weren't more accidents as some people seem to lose all road sense when they get on a bike. Lots of overtaking on the wrong side of the road around corners and weaving all over the place was in evidence.

I think I would have to be a bit fitter to do the 100 miler, not least because the extra bit seemed to be just as it was starting to get a bit hillier. My knees ached a bit yesterday too, so I think I had done enough on the shorter route. Jez, sorry for getting your name wrong - I must have been more tired than I thought!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
About the accident: going down the hill out of Netherwitton, the rider in front of me rode into the rider in front of him. I don't know if the guy at the front slowed down just in front of the bend or if the guy behind him tried to overtake but he ploughed straight into and over him. The blood was due to the lead rider having his cheek ripped open by the second rider's chainring rather than the head/tarmac collision.

OP
OP
A

ash68

Yeh Fnaar , that was the feed station I was meaning. Like you say, they were well manned and everyone was keen to help. Just unfortunate really that we wanted to be dibbed and not interested inthe bottled water they were wanting to give us.We were trying for a fast time , to make it inside gold standard so were keen to get a move on.. No one seemed to have the dibbers when we asked to be done, so we presumed it was just a timing station for the 2 shorter rides.Just a slight misunderstanding more than anything else.The whole 3 day event must take so much organizing , it's really great to have it here on our doorstep, so well done to all concerned with the event. And well done to all those who took part. Hope any injuries heal up quickly and there's no lasting damage.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kirstie said:
One of my friends is trying to pursuade me to do this next year. I'm going to take a lot of pursuading...! (NB bottles of single malt, cake and haribo are all currency, in my part of the world :smile:)
What, whisky, cake and sweeties all in the same bottle :biggrin::biggrin:
Do it... you won't regret it. :smile:

Top Bottom