Northumbria police initiative.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
That's not acceptable but (contrary to your implication) motorists jumping red isn't acceptable either and the growing number of "I see no other cars are coming so I'm gonna continue through that red at full speed" is scary.

I did not intend to imply it was acceptable

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I took from your post not that it was acceptable but that it has become normalised.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It clearly reads as if jumping red is more acceptable when motorists do it - but thanks for the clarification that Red Light Jumping is unacceptable even then.

I took from your post not that it was acceptable but that it has become normalised.
I think the word I emphasised should probably be commonplace, because the norms are the traffic laws and they've not been changed. Yet.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just an aside, but is KSI per distance travelled a sensible measure? Surely per unit travelling time would be a better assessment of risk, removing the respective speeds of the different modes from the equation.

I often think this when I hear statistics about air travel compared with other modes. The much higher speeds of aeroplanes makes the comparison meaningless.

mjr

[QUOTE 4720317, member: 9609"]therefore an average journey by bike is 51x riskier per mile than going by car. Surely any politician has to concede that is unacceptable.[/QUOTE]
And they may conclude that the solutions are H&H or simply banning cycling from any road where a cycling KSI occurs.

mjr

[QUOTE 4720349, member: 9609"]what multiple do you think would be the best to inspire better safety rather than a ban ? lots of data to chose from and lots of ways to add it up.[/QUOTE]
I'm not convinced that relative safety between modes of transport is a strong argument. Carists are in metal boxes and cycling is rarely going to be able to compete with that - I suspect that even in collisions where no other vehicles are involved, a cyclist is likely to be injured worse.

I tend to focus on relative safety over time and absolute casualty numbers, as that's what politicians seem to be judged on: how many KSIs are there? Is it getting safer or not? In short, are their decisions making things better or worse?

Top Bottom