Northwave Raptor GTX Boots - Smell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
TBH I dont't recall where I read it,possibly another forum or possibly in the review sections of various retailers but I have read about a problem with them smelling and it was enough to put me off

Hopefully I can sort the issue out, but they are to good at keeping my feet warm and dry to just bin them.

billiobob

Veteran
I read some years ago that the most likely cause of smelly trainers/cycling shoes etc is a bacteria and there is no known antidote. So stop sniffing them and keep them out of the house if possible or sealed up.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I read some years ago that the most likely cause of smelly trainers/cycling shoes etc is a bacteria and there is no known antidote. So stop sniffing them and keep them out of the house if possible or sealed up.
Is it worth putting them in a polythene bag and sticking them in the freezer for 24hrs? This could kill off any bacteria that are causing the whiff.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
So a combination of soaking them in washing powder for a few hours, a purchase of an electric boot dryer from Amazon plus a liberal dosing of Febreze appearing to have done the trick!

Im pretty sure its the Neoprene thats the problem and inparticular the section under the tongue part of the shoe. While everywhere feels dry to touch, if you wedge your finger into that area its still prone to being damp. But hopefully using the new boot dryer should cure that problem in the long term?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Is it worth putting them in a polythene bag and sticking them in the freezer for 24hrs? This could kill off any bacteria that are causing the whiff.

My wife has never forgiven me for putting a chain and sprocket in the dishwasher when I had a motorbike, its more that my life is worth putting a pair of boots in the freezer that smell of cats piss!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Which boot dryer did you get. The machine wash sorted mine, but they took an age to dry.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Which boot dryer did you get. The machine wash sorted mine, but they took an age to dry.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KB7ML7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its gone up since last week, I only paid £13 for it? But I have to say it functions much better than I thought it would and I'll probably get another one for work to save me riding home with damp shoes/socks and gloves! Although I wish I knew what exactly the "ozone" button does??

I'm having exactly the same problem with mine (Raptor GTX). Owned them for 18 months but only started to smell since the last ride when they got drenched. I tried soaking them with Mirazyme but suspect it's a bit too old to be effective. Going to dunk 'em in 'P!ss Off' wetsuit de-ponger today and see if that works. May have to look at a boot dryer too

Tom B

Guru
I have a pair of decathlon boot driers that have an ultaviolet light that is supposed to be anti bacterial.

I also take out and wash the insoles and use athletes foot powder.

My wife has never forgiven me for putting a chain and sprocket in the dishwasher when I had a motorbike, its more that my life is worth putting a pair of boots in the freezer that smell of cats piss!

Does she never go out? What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over...

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I'm having exactly the same problem with mine (Raptor GTX). Owned them for 18 months but only started to smell since the last ride when they got drenched. I tried soaking them with Mirazyme but suspect it's a bit too old to be effective. Going to dunk 'em in 'P!ss Off' wetsuit de-ponger today and see if that works. May have to look at a boot dryer too

From what Ive discovered over the last week, the boot dryer is the way to go. All of my commutes this week have involved either flooded roads or rain :angry:

As soon as I get home, drop them on the boot dryer for 60 minutes, since then no more comments about the smell either at home or at work :bravo:

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Dry them somewhere warm (e.g hotpress ) and remove the insole. Don't force dry on a radiator or similar. Stuff with newspaper if really wet. I've been using mine for several years and no pong.

Top Bottom