Northwave Raptor GTX Boots - Smell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
I can vouch for this. My summer road shoes stank so much I used to leave them outside for a few hours after taking them off and if I left them in the utility it was sometimes enough to make your eyes water.
I tried washing them in soapy water inside and out which cured it for a couple of weeks but the stink came back.
Then I read about bicarb so I gave it s go.
Removed my insoles, put a teaspoon full in each shoe and gave it a good shake around.
Left it there overnight and the following day shook it out and wiped inside.
Popped my insoles back and I haven’t had stinky shoes since.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not the neoprene or the glue, it's the thin grey cardboard insole that's glued into the shoe. If you don't remove the sponge insole to dry it thoroughly, bacteria grow in the perfectly warm moist environment giving off amines as a by-product, hence the smell.

Drying thoroughly and hanging the shoes up in the sun with insoles removed will help beat the smell.

FWIW: 'Piss Off' wetsuit cleaner/de-ponger worked a treat. Should have gone with that first as it's always done the trick on weapons grade wetsuit boots. I've still got a few bottles kicking around and it doesn't seem to lose efficacy as it gets older, unlike Mirazyme, which is good as the price has gone a bit silly! That said, you'd don't need much of it. No idea what it'll do to and DWR coatings though so probably best to re-treat after using it.
Getting boots/shoes dry quickly is definitely still the best first line of defence though so a boot drier is on the post-crimbo shopping list.

Top Bottom