Not a bad looking bike but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
...those downtube shifters put me off a bit.

Tempted to put a bid in for this bike - who knows, I might pick it up for next to nothing and it could be good fun to ride.

Never ridden a bike with downtube shifters. Are they a bit cumbersome or easy to get used to, etc? What do you think?

you get used to them and there are people on here who still use them. At 15-20 years old there not going to be indexed, so downtube friction shifters, even more fun. Buy it and emulate all your pre 80's cycling heroes (roughly).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used them since I was a kid. But years ago everybody just got used to them, they're not tricky. The first STI's I had about 7 years ago were harder to get used to than old fashioned downtube shifters.
I'm have an old 531 frame as an Audax/winter bike project and will go with the original down-tube shifters on that, simply because they're...well, simple really...oh and light weight and very reliable. If you like the bike don't be put off by the shifters.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be put off by the shifters - as FF sez, you just get used to them. (I've never used anything but.) Having said that, I'd hesitate before buying this one. Why? Because there's no word on the frame material. I'd wait for/look for something with 531 or something. It may cost a little more, but probably well under the ton if you're prepared to bide your time, and the difference it would make...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[quote name='swee'pea99']I wouldn't be put off by the shifters - as FF sez, you just get used to them. (I've never used anything but.) Having said that, I'd hesitate before buying this one. Why? Because there's no word on the frame material. I'd wait for/look for something with 531 or something. It may cost a little more, but probably well under the ton if you're prepared to bide your time, and the difference it would make...[/quote]

I wouldn't get too hung up on the frame material. The bike is likely to go for peanuts and will be a bargain for the winning bidder. When I took up cycl;ing again around five years ago. I got the ultimate bargain - a similarly specced Raleigh for nothing. I did my first cycle camping with it and cover a few thousand miles before passing it on to a friend who is still riding it on a regular basis.

For pootling around, there's no need to chase 531. Two of my bikes are 531 framed machines. Two are unpecified chrome-moly tubing. My fastest bike is not 531 framed.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
[quote name='swee'pea99']I wouldn't be put off by the shifters - as FF sez, you just get used to them. (I've never used anything but.) Having said that, I'd hesitate before buying this one. Why? Because there's no word on the frame material. I'd wait for/look for something with 531 or something. It may cost a little more, but probably well under the ton if you're prepared to bide your time, and the difference it would make...[/QUOTE]
It's 58 cm steel frame, according to the description.

a lot of the touring club use dt shiters, albeit indexed now, you soon get used to them.my son won't use anything else.
looks like the brake cables have been put on by a cowboy though, they should run under the tape not out of the back of the lever!
should be a decent bike for the price.

PrettyboyTim

Only four hours to go and it's still only at £6.50. If I lived in Leicester I'd snap it up in an instant. Even at several times that price it looks like a bargain.

piedwagtail91 said:
looks like the brake cables have been put on by a cowboy though, they should run under the tape not out of the back of the lever!

Yeah, there is something peculiar about the levers. On that age of bike they should come out the top not the back. I'm not sure how significant that is though. It looks clean and tidy, it's got to be worth a bid.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Maz said:
It's 58 cm steel frame, according to the description.
Um, well yes. I'd assume it was steel - but that covers a multitude of sins. Some old Raleighs were heavy. I'm not saying it won't go for a bargain price, or that you'd be unhappy with it, much less that buying old '80s racers is a bad idea - they're all I ride. But 'bargain' ebay '80s racers are not hard to come by, and some are a lot better than others. This one could be a cracker...but if it was me, I'd wait for one that definitely was a cracker. (I'm surprised to hear the 'the 531 isn't the fastest'. I've tried 'unbranded' frames and good Reynolds, and the difference is immense.)

swee said:
heavy[/I]. I'm not saying it won't go for a bargain price, or that you'd be unhappy with it, much less that buying old '80s racers is a bad idea - they're all I ride. But 'bargain' ebay '80s racers are not hard to come by, and some are a lot better than others. This one could be a cracker...but if it was me, I'd wait for one that definitely was a cracker. (I'm surprised to hear the 'the 531 isn't the fastest'. I've tried 'unbranded' frames and good Reynolds, and the difference is immense.)

I've got a 501 and a 531 frames roadbikes, both of which are slower than my alu framed roadbike.

I also hate dt shifters.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I've got a 501 and a 531 frames roadbikes, both of which are slower than my alu framed roadbike.

My SCR is undoubtedly faster than the Nigel Dean (steel frame, 10 speed) that was my introduction to road bikes, but the latter was a good way to find out whether the drop bars etc were going to be something I'd get along with or not.

The Raleigh in the op seems to have a seven speed rear block too, which might mean it's possible to upgrade to a low end STi system at some point... (see this article)

Regarding the levers, it looks to me as though it's had aero levers fitted (but without the cable being run under the bar tape). In fact, levers and hoods look very much like the ones I had fitted to my old bike after the originals were found to be faulty.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just my two penneth..
I wouldnt get too hung up on the frame material either, for that money..

It 'should' go well for the money...and be relaible. If you need a cheap, reliable bike...what more can you ask for.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I was outbid. It went for 31 in the end and i was only willing to pay 25 tops.
Ah well, maybe next time. :biggrin:

Top Bottom