Not a good time for a total boiler failure....:cold:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HA left us a couple of small fan heaters, barely adequate. Hot water from the kettle!

You shouldn't have to, but if you did want to buy your own I'd recommend this oil filled radiator . I've been using it my small office room for a couple years and on the lowest heat setting it will keep me at +16c. Whilst my boiler was broke I had in the large living room and though I needed a higher setting (and a longer wait for the room to heat) it would still get me to +16c. I don't know exactly how much it cost to run but I'd bet it be the same or less than a fan heater and better at heating a room!

Jameshow

Veteran
You shouldn't have to, but if you did want to buy your own I'd recommend this oil filled radiator . I've been using it my small office room for a couple years and on the lowest heat setting it will keep me at +16c. Whilst my boiler was broke I had in the large living room and though I needed a higher setting (and a longer wait for the room to heat) it would still get me to +16c. I don't know exactly how much it cost to run but I'd bet it be the same or less than a fan heater and better at heating a room!

They are the latest pets at work, the ladies in the office pull them around like pooches!!

Update: all parts arrived and engineer arrived to fit them this afternoon around 4pm. Having fitted all-new electronics, the fault was discovered before it could wreck said new electronics. So, another 24 hours in the freezer...
But at least we know it should be fixed by tomorrow evening. And we're now on the list for a boiler upgrade.
HA’s have an obligation to decarbonise their stock to make it carbon neutral. It might be worth enquiring if you’re on the list for a heat pump of some sort and/or an upgraded system that can take PV panels. If you are, it might be worth holding off doing any decorative work as you may need EWI work which will cause some mess and disruption if electrics can’t cope.

With regards to the immediate problem, it’s worth asking if your entitled to a right to repair compensation payment to cover the cost of running the heaters. I believe it applies for repairs up to £250.

mustang1

Guru
britsih gas homecare is one of the few "extended warranty/ insurance things " that for me pays to have just in case ( besides the obvious ones like car /house insurance etc )

Some years ago, we used a recommended boiler guy. Man, he was useless! Later, we called British Gas and we received splendid service from them. A couple of nice chaps popped over ,fixed the boiler, didn't want any tea/coffee/biscuits, kept chat to a minimum and always professional. Unlike that previous twonk.

HA’s have an obligation to decarbonise their stock to make it carbon neutral. It might be worth enquiring if you’re on the list for a heat pump of some sort and/or an upgraded system that can take PV panels. If you are, it might be worth holding off doing any decorative work as you may need EWI work which will cause some mess and disruption if electrics can’t cope.

With regards to the immediate problem, it’s worth asking if your entitled to a right to repair compensation payment to cover the cost of running the heaters. I believe it applies for repairs up to £250.
None of the decarbonsiation methods can work in an old scheme like this, except maybe hydrogen powered boilers. Yes, we will be receiving compensation for power used. And best of all:

It's fixed!

There are instructions on it. All that happens when I follow them is a jet of heating circuit water up the wall...Awaiting call from HA plumper!
Engineer has been. Another major fault, but one I can frig with to keep the system going until either parts or a new boiler get fitted. The tap I should have been fiddling with is well-hidden, so now I know how to re-pressurise the system. It would seem, given his description, that the fault has been slowly gathering pace the whole six years plus since we moved in. It really IS new boiler time...

• Hugs
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

Prior to our boiler being condemned it started to have to be pressurised more frequently, I was dreading that it was a leak downstairs which now has solid oak floor in one part & a very large area of laminate flooring in the other which was an absolute barstool to put down. Pleased to say that once the new boiler went in I think I've only topped it up once by 0.1 bar in 12 months, so if there is a leak it's quite a minor one.

Top Bottom