Not another helmet post

Why have you (or would you) contribute to a helmet post

• I wear a helmet and try to justify my position because I am envious of those who don't

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't wear a helmet and try to justify my position because I feel guilty

• I am fearful of a head injury and post to try to guage whether my fear is rational or not

• It is a controversial area and I enjoy winding people up

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • It is a controversial area and I enjoy the academic nature of the discussion

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I enjoy telling other people what to do

• It is none of your business - I will post what I like

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I don't post on helmet threads (including this one)

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Can we have a poll option for "I haven't actually read the question"?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I voted: "a controversial area and I enjoy the academic nature of the discussion".

as it was the closest I could get to my answer. Which would be....

I wear one most of the time, but anti-compulsion, nobody but me should make that choice, especially a non cycling car driver who is trying to pass some responsibility for his driving over to me. Also I don't see the point in wearing one if it doesn't fit and isn't correctly adjusted to the wearer's head.

There is a lot rubbish spouted about helmets ... problem is we all think it isn't us :biggrin: .

Rebel Ian

It's nothing to do with wearing a helmet for me. It's all to do with someobody trying to dictate to me when I'm perfectly capable of making my own decision.

Wardy

After many years without a helmet I now wear one and it has saved me from (at the very least) concussion. I would now urge other cyclists to consider wearing one but if I was in public office (perish the thought), I certainly wouldn't like to dictate that all cyclists should wear one. Seeing some attitudes though, I'm reminded of similar head-in-sand reactions to laws about drink-driving, using a mobile whilst driving, car seat belts, motor cycle helmets et al.

david k

Hi
i havnt seen anyone post that cyclists must wear helmets, just people saying they do and why they do.

Seems to me that those who do not wear helmets or think the argument for is flawed are defensive of that position. Its fine to get defensive if people try to force their opinion on non wearers or being dictated too, but i dont feel this has happened here.

i feel ye protest too much

hotmetal

I'm pro-helmet (for myself) but totally anti-compulsion. Especially off-road they're useful, even if all they do is stop low-hanging branches from bashing my bonce (regular occurrence in Swinley). One of our group has broken two helmets while messing about on some jumps. And he's old enough to know better! On-road I doubt they're much good for warding off articulated lorries…

I only even read these threads because sometimes I'm bored and it's funny to see people getting so aereated over what is basically the individual's choice and should remain so. I do find it a bit disheartening when it starts getting personal though. No need. If I wanted an argument I'd just ask the missus why it's necessary to iron bedclothes.

The funniest thing so far is that 'helmet threads' has finally been given a slot all of its own! At least it means that if people want to know what others think on the subject they can come in here for some chaos instead of starting yet another thread.

Mad at urage

I think you are right Yello there is no simple answer. I came off my bike in the ice 100 metres from setting off from home and did not bang my head. Yet after wheeling my bike back and home and walking to the bus stop I went ass over tit and cracked my head on the ground. I could summise that in my experience walking is more dangerous than cycling however we all know that is not the case.

I did get very irate with James Cracknell's comment that anyone who does not ride a helmet is selfish however it was my own fault for watching "The One Show"

Freedom of choice is the real winner
But do we actually know this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom