Not for love or money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given they weren't clipping on except when they stopped for a rest, it is rather a moot point. You'd have about 13 seconds to think about why clipping on might have been a good idea.

I couldn't even watch it all.
The fall arrest equipment has approximately a ten foot length, at best. How do suggest they remove it from below them?

Alex321

Veteran
The fall arrest equipment has approximately a ten foot length, at best. How do suggest they remove it from below them?

I'm not suggesting anything. Just responding to the question about whether those hand/foot holds would hold.

But I believe the officially recommended way would be to unclip when the level of the clip is somewhere between your waist and your chest, and clip it back on to the next one above your head. Which, as they say in the video is far too time consuming, and it is permitted to free climb it, so they do.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh come on, who wouldn't this as their workplace...? :whistle:

I remember being told years ago that a lot of these workers prefer working at great height, as if they fall off, they will most likely die instantly, but they will be much more nervous working at a lower height as if you fall off, you might end up with some sort of hideous injury instead.
It kinda' put it into perspective for me.

As it is, I was watching that video and thinking

'Cool! I'd love to do that!'.

As an aside, think about the workout you would get just climbing up that!

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't think they'll be on that wage, more like 20 grand a year I'd say. I just could not do that all day long! I don't think constant retching is good for the stomach and oesophagus, so doing it in my case about 50 times a day, could lead to serious health problems. 🤔

Like anyone working in a sewerage farm or similar, I imagine you'd get used to it after a while.

If you make a bad mistake at 1700 feet, you have about 13 seconds to consider why your choice of job might not have been wise. After that, it doesn't matter.

My dad was in bomb disposal in WWII...

I asked him why he volunteered for that. He said that he preferred the risk of sudden death to the risk of being badly injured or killed in combat.

See my previous post about working at heights

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've rejected a couple of work assignments on the decom of Sellafield. Working with IT, not with anything "hot".
Distance from home was my problem, I never got as far as considering safety!

As a school kid I did a walk round a reactor hall, and I *think* we stood on top of the core.
There wasn't much to see; this video is far more interesting, especially from 6 minutes in : Inside a research reactor

A friend of mine used to work as an engineer in the nuclear industry. He visited a station, I think Trawsfynnydd, and was a little disturbed to see a lot of the staff wandering around him in silver rad suits in an ostensibly safe area, and not somewhere where these were worn in any other plant After overcoming his initial panic, it appeared there was some kind of danger money fiddle, whereby they got extra pay for jobs necessitating the rad suit, and were keen to keep getting it for work in a totally benign part of the plant.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
As it is, I wouldn't want to work with kids/teens at all right now.

Traffic Warden or any other sort of enforcement officer where you have sod all actual protection.

Killing animals.

Chef/Cook.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think it is another example of 'n + 1'.

(In this case, where 'n' is the number of available connection points! :okay:)

Being somewhat familiar with such things from caving and "via ferrata" and for that matter jobs on my house if you have too many connections you get into a pickle as you get confused over what's what, and are scared to undo anything. Two clips is plenty

classic33

Leg End Member
As it is, I wouldn't want to work with kids/teens at all right now.

Traffic Warden or any other sort of enforcement officer where you have sod all actual protection.

Killing animals
I've an application in with the local parking enforcement company. They're looking for people willing to cycle, rather than drive to areas outside of the town centres. They'll even supply the bike.

Top Bottom