Not for love or money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If someone offered me A LOT of money (it would have to be in the thousands, not the mere hundreds) for a few day's work doing something I would - moderately, at least - enjoy doing, I'd probably accept as long as it was understood I didn't have to do it again unless I wanted to.
But other than that? No.

I had dreadful pangs of guilt at not 'doing my bit' at the beginning of the pandemic and during lockdowns but I'm not really sure why, as there was no way I'd've been of any use with - at the time - virtually no eyesight and already of an age that was being told to shield. In hindsight I am, though, darned glad that I was legitimately unable to return to my profession or anything like it, given the uncaring and derisory way that healthcare staff (and other essential workers of all sorts) have been treated once the main emergency was over.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A couple more pics of my friend doing his day job.. In Aus
_nc_ohc=uIH_I8cMavAAX-QLM5Y&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=xFa21yXJRj8AX-aO0bQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ropes are your friend - climbing ropes in particular.

My rational side knows that v well, but the irrational side won't let me step off , let go or trust. I love the idea or abseiling, parachute jumping and rock-climbing, but when i'm about 20 feet up, the view makes me feel like death!

i keep trying to overcome it- i did a high ropes course with a leap into space at the end, 52 feet up. The safety descender/pulley-thing didnt look new or reliable; god knows how i did it!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Traffic Warden or any other kind of enforcement officer.

Too much hastle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just watching the news earlier and saw a report about a WWII bomb discovered in Plymouth - details HERE.

Earlier in the thread, I posted this picture of my dad during his stint in bomb disposal in WWII...

UXBs in colour.png

What I didn't mention was that those UXBs had been dropped on Plymouth! If you look at the picture of the heavily corroded one just found you can see that it looks very similar to the smaller ones in this photo.

Some of the bombs went deep into the ground without exploding but were covered again by soil collapsing over them so they were not discovered at the time. You can see in my other photo how deep the sappers had to dig to get to that one...

uxb2.jpg

They are bringing hundreds of tons of sand into Plymouth to cover the latest UXB and will presumably then do a controlled explosion to deal with it? It feels funny to think that my dad was there 80+ years ago dealing with the others!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s odd, but if i was given the choice of bomb disposal or repairing masts i would probably go for the bombs, even though i know you are strapped on to the masts.

Top Bottom