Not Had Interrupter Levers For Over 25 Years. Today, I Tried To Use Them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Bit of a gap in the weather a couple of hours ago, so I thought I'd take the new road bike out for yet another test ride.

At the bottom of a slight downhill near my home is a mini roundabout which I was coasting towards and about to cross when I saw that the car approaching from the left had no intention of giving way to me.

So I pulled up on the interrupters and nothing happened. I scrambled my hands to the hoods and managed to come to a halt halfway over the junction and in just enough time to avoid being wiped out.

It's hardly surprising the brakes didn't work though. I haven't had interrupters on a bike since the mid 1990's.

Fact is, all the drop bar bikes I've ridden in the past have had pull up brakes and it must be embedded deep in my memory?

I had a similar experience with the bosses car a couple of weeks ago when I tried to indicate left by turning on the windscreen wipers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why didn’t they work? The cross levers work fantastically on all 4 of my road bikes...2 with rim brakes, 2 with discs. I rarely use the brifters to brake!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Wait what - you're saying that the bike didn't have these levers and you'd regressed 30 years and just thought it did ?
I had drop bar racing bikes from the age of 12 until I was 35 and I've had MTB bars since 1995.

I've only owned the new road bike for a few weeks, but as soon as I get onto it, it's like I regress 25 years.

I actually tried to pull up on something I haven't even seen for over two decades.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You know. Those flat levers that sit under the bar top and link into your drop brakes. So you pull them up to pull up.

Very popular back in the early 80s.
Oh, not the ones that @vickster is talking about - 'suicide levers'... :laugh:

1615651555389.png

Top Bottom