Not sure how this happened...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I mentioned a week or so ago that I had bid on a Merckx..well I won:hyper:

A Merckx MX Leader with a very 1990s paint scheme! Bought from a guy who lives a five minute walk from my house. The components are mostly Chorus 8 speed, with a véloce triple in the front. Lovely dark grey 3ttt bars and stem and mismatched wheels: Mavic open CD on the back and a rigida DP 18 on the front,

At some point the rear wheel will be replaced and the 1990s dial will be turned up to 11: elite metallic green bottle cages and cameo bar tape in marching colours:becool:

But until then the plan is to :bicycle: :bicycle: :bicycle:

Last edited:
U

User32269

Very nice! Enjoy!
Looks tidy, ready to ride .

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Just discovered one slight problem: riding on the hoods is very comfortable, but I have small hands and on the drops I can only just reach the brake levers with the tips of my middle fingers. Luckily, I was not reaching for an emergency stop when I discovered this:ohmy:.

And no, I will not be off-loading it to one of you just cos you have big hands:smile:

U

User32269

I like the paint job, but given that I own a 90's Univega MTB with a colour scheme that gives me acid flashbacks, maybe my judgement is skewed.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Wow missed this, that's a gorgeous paint job, what a find. Is it Columbus Max? The forks look like it, I love the look of a Max fork. Happy riding.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Lovely bike, try moving the levers round a bit after removing old bar tape and before fitting new perhaps you may find a better set up for yourself?
Yep, I'd set the 'tops' flat and then move the brakes down on the curve so that access from the drops allows you to get a good 'handfull' of the brake lever. Old school I know but effective and the usual 'grip' is on the tops thumb pointing forward with this lever position (a bit like a golf club grip)

EDIT - The other advantage is that puts the drop at a nice angle for your wrists when climbing.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Wow missed this, that's a gorgeous paint job, what a find. Is it Columbus Max? The forks look like it, I love the look of a Max fork. Happy riding.

Thanks, only a few KMs in and it is a dream to ride:wub:

Tubing is MXL, a treeked version of MAX for Merckx bikes only. The fork looks fantastic and I doubt I will ever use its full capability.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Yep, I'd set the 'tops' flat and then move the brakes down on the curve so that access from the drops allows you to get a good 'handfull' of the brake lever. Old school I know but effective and the usual 'grip' is on the tops thumb pointing forward with this lever position (a bit like a golf club grip)

Cheers, I will give this a go when ai get around to redoing the bars. May be a while as I have other things on the go at the moment

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Redid the bars today. Left the levers where they are, first because now there is only one layer of cork tape I can reach the levers, second, they were so well fitted that even once I had untaped everything there wouldn’t have been enough slack to move them down.

Also popped on a couple of elite metallic bottle cages, my old flight saddle and some very shiny rims which were just delivered. The 1990s are back:becool:

Top Bottom