Not sure what's up with me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I think I might have some kind of virus. If I put in my usual effort, I'm exhausted the next day. I have a huge energy slump which I've never experienced before; I struggle to stand up sometimes, and I'm dizzy when I do.

I'm still getting PRs on Strava but it could be because I recently moved to the area and I'm still getting to know the place. It's much hillier so maybe it's the extra effort.

The alternative is too horrible to contemplate; I'm just getting old and rubbish.

vickster

Legendary Member
Seen a doctor?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you "put in [your] usual effort" then you are NOT making an "extra effort"! :okay:

If you mean that you are riding at your usual speed but on the hillier roads then you ARE making an extra effort and that would certainly make you tired but it does sound like it might be due to more than just that ...

Are you eating and drinking enough to fuel those increased efforts?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
If you "put in [your] usual effort" then you are NOT making an "extra effort"! :okay:

If you mean that you are riding at your usual speed but on the hillier roads then you ARE making an extra effort and that would certainly make you tired but it does sound like it might be due to more than just that ...

Are you eating and drinking enough to fuel those increased efforts?

Estimated average watts have gone up from when I lived in Cirencester; I suppose I must have been putting in more effort over a shorter distance. I'm hopeless at pacing myself and get demoralised if I think I'm going slower than I should be. Maybe some riding companions would help me put it into some kind of perspective, but as mentioned elsewhere, I have no friends! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Have you checked your blood sugar?
Make an appointment with the quack.

That might be a good place to start. My diet isn't too good at the moment; I drive hundreds of miles a week commuting, so end up eating too much in the way of processed meals and snacks. I assumed that as they contain loads of sugar and salt they'll give me energy and stop me getting camps! Something else I haven't put enough thought into.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Estimated average watts have gone up from when I lived in Cirencester; I suppose I must have been putting in more effort over a shorter distance. I'm hopeless at pacing myself and get demoralised if I think I'm going slower than I should be. Maybe some riding companions would help me put it into some kind of perspective, but as mentioned elsewhere, I have no friends! :rolleyes:
I was going to suggest that you pop over to join us on our Leighton Buzzard/Chilterns ride on August 5th but I just checked and you are about 65 miles away, which would be a bit of a trek!

reacher

You don't say how old you are ? But seriously how can you expect to train properly on a diet of crap

gbb

Legendary Member
I feel like crud at the moment but i think its because i'm ready for a long awaited holiday, tired through mildly poor sleep patterns, getting a bit older now and still trying to act like i was 15 years younger.....but i don't get dizzy when i stand up. If that were me i'd be seeing the docs, high or low blood pressure, all sorts could be causing that.
I always said, cycling soon finds any deficiencies you're unwittingly suffering from , a cold, virus etc etc. Its happened enough times to me, you feel ok, get on the bike and a few miles in and it dawns on you....bleghhh, sod that and turn round for home. Physical activity brings it to the surface.

gaijintendo

Veteran
If you are exercising hard, you may be impeding your immune system. The best way to offset that, healthy eating and drinking (edit: water)
If it's just your regular grind, then, maybe you have a minor viral infection.
I'd suggest the PRs are down to new turf, and will increasingly become sparse, without training.
If you are worried, as @vickster and @Cycleops day, join the queue at the GPS. They will likely find nothing, but that's good in a way. If they find something... Er . .that's good in a way.

Last edited:

reacher

I get dizzy a lot when i stand up, to the point where i have to hold onto something for a few moments

Top Bottom