Not sure whether to buy a hybrid or road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wiggle haven't sent me Haribo in ages:sad:
Sigma do ;)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
On road in city to cycle for fun and go for 4 hour journeys. I will be using it during the summer and during the winter it depends whether there will be snow or not and whether it is dark outside. Probably won’t be using it much during the winter.

On that basis I would recommend a road bike, but one that takes proper full mudguards (IMV essential in winter). A hybrid is perfectly adequate too; IMV a road bike is more fun.

"Winter trainer" or "Audax" are commonly used terms for such machines. "Gravel bikes" I believe also often have mudguard attachments. Outright road racing machines do not.

I have a very nice Kinesis 4S for such duties - these are sold as frameset only.

vickster

Legendary Member
Something like a Giant Contend or Specialized Allez would suit, if you can get one (sub £700 bikes are like hen's teeth right now)

Ashcycles in East London sell older model Giants at good prices, whether they have any stock right now, you'd need to call
https://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-c-88_111_675?zenid=c09olbevobrebpvi29eop5pq14

This would do the job, you can get mudguards to fit. 28mm tyres for rubbish UK road surfaces
https://www.ashcycles.com/site/defy...ntend-1-2019?zenid=c09olbevobrebpvi29eop5pq14

You don't need a backpack to carry water on a roadbike, get a couple of bottle cages and bottle and stick them on the frame, stop sweaty back syndrome!

Last edited:
Road bike gives the option of riding on the bar tops or the brake hoods - you don't have to go down on the drops if you don't want to. The hybrid has no options - so I always say road bike.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I am going to recommend that if you intend to ride mostly on the road, get a road bike and stick to the road. Hybrids aren't really good for much more than the road anyway. If you are thinking of using the hybrid for both road and trail riding, a hybrid is not meant for the trail, unless that trail is well groomed and manicured. And road bikes are not difficult to maneauver in traffic. They aren't difficult to maneuver at all in fact. But they do require a certain level of fitness given the position you sit in on a proper road bike. If you want the more upright position, get a road bike with flat bars.

Dwn

I've got a road bike with slightly more relaxed geometry - a Triban RC520. Mudguards, rack can be fitted and it's got Shimano 105 components. For summer I've taken the mudguards off and have bought wider tyres (35mm rather than 28mm). Very comfortable bike and only £50 outside your budget. Decathlon pretty hard to beat for value

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

@Anonymous1502 Whay did you buy? Are you happy with it?
I have bought specialized allez e5. I am happy with it and it is my first bike. I definitely prefer road bikes than hybrid bikes and I enjoy cycling on my bike. I think it is a decent starting bike hopefully in the future one day I would like to get a road bike with a better gearset but one step at a time :smile: for now I am working hard to get better at cycling.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thank you for your reply but I have anyway brough a road bike :smile:
You didn't listen to me, did you! Oh well. When you find yourself zooming down a picturesque country lane with the sun on your back effortlessly churning that big gear on your gorgeous bike, delighting in finding stunning new views and looking forward to that yummy guilt-free cake at your next stop, don't say I didn't warn you.
:bicycle:^_^

Doitall roadbikes are available with generous tyre clearance, mudguard ans rack threaded eyelets, disk brakes. They fit somewhere between classic touring bikes and cyclo cross. Fit thinner or thicker tyres to suit your style. Good for local errands, day tours, on/off road, and Euro touring. Some people prefer lighter style bikes for expedition touring as well.

Top Bottom