Not sure whether to buy a hybrid or road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Intuitively you will go for the hybrid. As you go on longer rides the road bike is far easier. My guess is that it seems to be the natural or popular progression but not the other way around.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Intuitively you will go for the hybrid. As you go on longer rides the road bike is far easier. My guess is that it seems to be the natural or popular progression but not the other way around.
I did go for the road bike in the end.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You didn't listen to me, did you! Oh well. When you find yourself zooming down a picturesque country lane with the sun on your back effortlessly churning that big gear on your gorgeous bike, delighting in finding stunning new views and looking forward to that yummy guilt-free cake at your next stop, don't say I didn't warn you.
:bicycle:^_^
I am really enjoying cycling on my road bike I am constantly trying to challenge myself and go longer distances so far 64km in one day is my longest ride yet and I am enjoying being able to eat all the cake I want without feeling too bad about it ^_^

gmclean

Regular
I've got a road bike with slightly more relaxed geometry - a Triban RC520. Mudguards, rack can be fitted and it's got Shimano 105 components. For summer I've taken the mudguards off and have bought wider tyres (35mm rather than 28mm). Very comfortable bike and only £50 outside your budget. Decathlon pretty hard to beat for value
Cheeky I know, but which mudguards did you get? I've just gotten this bike too, and the usual Crud Roadracer ones aren't great cos the rear fork is triangular (I know, I should've checked...).

Dwn

Hi, I got the kinesis fend-off mudguards, which are good for 28mm tyres - too narrow for anything bigger

Sloth

Get the bike that you want to get.

A hybrid will do the job quite happily. If you get a road bike you might be tempted to start riding longer and faster. You might end up doing a sportive of 50 miles or so, then some twit will persuade you that 100 miles is well within your capabilities. You will join Strava, start thinking about your diet admiring your diminishing belly in the mirror, start talking to very fit people about training. Your heart rate will fall and life expectancy will improve. You will visit places and meet people that you would never have been to or met before. Some will remain friends. You will take an interest in cycling as a sport, and will be able to name more than a handful of professional cyclists. You will wear lycra and buy upgrades for your bike. Women will find you more attractive (or men). Your deliveries will have Haribo in them, and your christmas presents will feature bikes on them.

So go for a hybrid!

:laugh: LMAO

Road bike gives the option of riding on the bar tops or the brake hoods - you don't have to go down on the drops if you don't want to. The hybrid has no options - so I always say road bike.
this gets, er, pedalled out, all the time - my hybrids with bar ends (I have a few, used as fastish day bikes, tourers, whatever) all have several options, particularly the ones with ski-slope bar ends.
Hell my brommie with very stubby bar ends has three options.

this gets, er, pedalled out, all the time - my hybrids with bar ends (I have a few, used as fastish day bikes, tourers, whatever) all have several options, particularly the ones with ski-slope bar ends.
Hell my brommie with very stubby bar ends has three options.
I'm missing out here. What's the third position ? I only do on the bar ends and covering the brakes on my flat bar Brompton.

I'm missing out here. What's the third position ? I only do on the bar ends and covering the brakes on my flat bar Brompton.
On the bars, hands at the end of the bars supported by the stubby bar ends, on top of the stubby bar ends.

(folk who champion the supposed position benefits of drops would add "hands behind your head", thumb up your arse with supporting splayed fingers, two fingers up your nostrils)

Fair enough. You could always try this one too.
iab_c9df0c707d18f26d4875a4d5f5e67556267fd38c.jpg

I have bought specialized allez e5
Excellent, you bought what you want.
My first road bike was, and still is, an oldish Scott Expert. But I decided I didn't like drops, so it now has narrow flat bars and mountain bike rear gears, needed for the hills around here. In other words, an actual hybrid, as in literally built with parts from different types of bikes. That's the thing about cycling. Once you are into it you can have any type of bike you can dream up, and if mechanically interested, even build it yourself!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Excellent, you bought what you want.
My first road bike was, and still is, an oldish Scott Expert. But I decided I didn't like drops, so it now has narrow flat bars and mountain bike rear gears, needed for the hills around here. In other words, an actual hybrid, as in literally built with parts from different types of bikes. That's the thing about cycling. Once you are into it you can have any type of bike you can dream up, and if mechanically interested, even build it yourself!
I personally really like drop bars I rarely use the drops though as I do urban cycling. I am rather happy with my bike, it is an entry level bike but it does its job. Perhaps in the future I could have a nicer bike 😊

Top Bottom