Not too shabby.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
IMG_8817.PNG

In the top ten on one of my Strava segments despite me being on a Brompton.

View attachment 338802

In the top ten on one of my Strava segments despite me being on a Brompton.
Go into 'developer mode' and give yourself the KOM, by 0.1 second. If anyone beats that, keep beating it by 0.1 second. The rider you take the 'KOM' from usually gets really shirty about it. It's great fun.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
IMG_8818.PNG
Nice! What's the distance of that segment?

It's not far. About 0.8 of a mile.

Given that I did this in the morning yesterday I thought I'd try and improve my time going home last night. Put absolutely everything into it and was cruising on the flat at about 25mph and then when it starts to rise, at about 19.something.

Took a measly 6 seconds off my time.

So the guys at the top must be doing 30 along there.

reppans

Haha... I thought that was a long hrs:mins run, not a short min:sec sprint.

If my math is right I get 22.33 mph avg for the 2:09 time and 20.14 mph avg for you. What handlebars and hand-grip position, and back angle/elbow angle did you use for the run? At that pace wind resistance is going to everything.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Strava said average of about 21mph for the section.

I have an H type which I fitted low riser bars to.

It was a toss up between an H type or an S type, but all along I knew I wanted something in between an S and an M in terms of overall bar height. As you can see in these pics, I thought the longer cables would be easy to shorten, whereas if I bought the S type and raised the bars, the cables might have ended up too short.

Clearly, this was before I shortened them.

13055008_10153387180456021_419370871358865809_o.jpg

13095957_10153387180761021_682625080724572668_n.jpg

reppans

Very nice...

I went with the M bars, primarily for the T-bag clearance, but then rigged an aero dropped bar position in the bottom of the 'U' and it not only bumping my flat ground cruising pace 1-2mph, it also made it more comfortable just by providing another grip/back angle position. Really closed the gap to my gravel bike pace... think I'm within ~3% of it now, but need more testing when spring arrives. FWIW this is the article that got me going:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/aerodynamics-of-real-world-bicycles/

Don't know what position you road in for that run, but if not full tuck (incl hands tight in near steering stem), I'd bet you can do better.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
Posting a screenshot of the leaderboard doesn't say much, especially against 104 other people, ever. Doesn't give the distance, ascent, corners, speed, etc. Why not share the link to the segment itself?

I thought I was doing well on my commute. Rarely got overtaken by anyone. Could take off from the lights faster than anyone, except the very occasional other Brompton rider. Was in the top 10% for most of my segments. First time I tried an extra lap of Regents Park on my way home, I was (am) absolutely nowhere against the thousands of other riders that regularly go round it.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
The reality is that at 45 years old, 16 stone and riding a Brompton that I will be in a similar position to you. I.e. Realistically nowhere on a leaderboard of 20- something racing snakes on carbon race bikes.

However, it's the first time I've ever found myself in the top ten of a Strava segment and the fact I did it on my Brompton impressed me at least.

What I can say with absolute certainty is that I cannot climb. I normally find myself in the top third of all riders on flat-ish routes but when it comes to serious hills I'm in the bottom 10%.

mitchibob

Über Member
The reality is that at 45 years old, 16 stone and riding a Brompton that I will be in a similar position to you. I.e. Realistically nowhere on a leaderboard of 20- something racing snakes on carbon race bikes..

Except that I'm nowhere against other Brompton riders either :-(

12boy

Guru
Kell, I am glad to see you are keeping your bike pristine. The only time I've gone 25 mph was on my Brompton was downhill. About 6 mph going up!

Top Bottom