Not wearing a helmet anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I’ve started to give up my helmet. I mainly commute into London but do ride my roadbike in Essex.

If anyone wants to debate whether anyone (or me) should or shouldn't continue, please feel free to post your replies here and I promise to read through them. :whistle:

So, it’s definitely weird and after 3 years of wearing one it feels more free but I do feel more vulnerable. I know this is psychological but it’s hard to shake

There are quite a few difficulties to overcome. I do like my helmet light as in heavy traffic my lights are obscured and it really helps being able to turn my head to cars on side-roads as the light is then noticed. I also need a place for my helmet cam.

Biggest issue is my wife, parents etc. and emotional grief! I’ve had 2 offs in my 7,000 odd miles. Both low speed, both mostly my fault. Neither time do I think my helmet hit the ground but it all happened so fast I cannot know for sure but I saw no evidence.

My worry is that I’ll now have an off and scratch my noggin and the delicate truce I’ve negotiated will be broken!

How do people negotiate all this?

Brandane

Legendary Member
You know it makes sense :thumbsup:.
Here's a suggestion as to where you could place your helmet cam:

Plastic-Dustbin-YY-D050-.jpg

fimm

Veteran
I used to wear a helmet all the time. I now don't wear one when riding my Brompton, but do when using any of my large bikes. Boyfriend was initially concerned but has now joined me in differentiating between "transport cycling" and "sport cycling". I usually wear a nice hat (that's my style) so I only feel really odd if I have nothing on my head at all.
I'd never mounted anything on my helmet so that's not been an issue.
I did fall off my Brompton and bang my head on the ground one very icy day. Because it was so icy, I was, unusually, wearing my helmet. You may wish to choose to consider similar decision making!

OP
OP
M

Markymark

You know it makes sense :thumbsup:.
Here's a suggestion as to where you could place your helmet cam:

Plastic-Dustbin-YY-D050-.jpg
Ah, no, I've had two issues with bus companies and one with a haulage company and all 3 had very +ve outcomes because of the footage. Police were involved with one of them.

Luked1980

Why do you not one to wear one anymore?

Don't really see what the issue is, if you come off it will help (hopefully), if you don't then its no problem

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Why do you not one to wear one anymore?

Don't really see what the issue is, if you come off it will help (hopefully), if you don't then its no problem
Please read through the debates for wearing/not wearing one and the problems they cause. This thread is not about that.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Biggest issue is my wife, parents etc. and emotional grief! I’ve had 2 offs in my 7,000 odd miles. Both low speed, both mostly my fault. Neither time do I think my helmet hit the ground but it all happened so fast I cannot know for sure but I saw no evidence.

How do people negotiate all this?

I just ignore them or if they really want to get into a discussion about it after about 20 mins they soon wish they had not asked. Starting points for me are quoting cycling in Denmark,Holland and China as examples of low usage and them directing them here http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

OP
OP
M

Markymark

[QUOTE 3341115, member: 9609"]you can't wear a pumpkin on your noggin then pretend that your not overly safety conscious.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but he's a cat so has 9 lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom