Notebook computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srmex

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had a notebook they used for cycle touring and if so which one? I've seen a few £99 ones which have a linux operating system and wondered what people thought.

Also, anyone know anything about the Garmin Oregon GPSs?

Cheers,
Sean

codemander

HP MINI

I used an HP mini (2133) on a recent trip. I got mine for a little under 200 quid, and I put windows XP on it myself, for the GPS/Mapping software.

Its fully encased in aluminium too, so it takes knocks pretty well, and survived horrendous rain in an altura dryline.

andym

Über Member
I think the Samsung whatever-it-is is the one that has won out in the reviews.

You should be able to do email web browsing etc with Linux. When i looked at netbooks a few months ago there was concern that there were no Linux drivers for USB modems - but this has probably been fixed by now.

The major criticism I"ve read of the Garmin Oregon is that it's hard to read in bright sunlight - so, if you can, try before you buy.

I bought a Packard Bell Easynote XS before the fashion caught up and these small systems became available

It is amazing how much they can be used, I edit photos, routes and research all sorts of things.... invaluable.

Additionally it acts as a charger for the phones, GPS and other items.

As for transporting, I use a padded "Pelicase" which has kept the system safe, dry and secure over many thousands of miles commuting and or touring including off orad canal paths etc.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The Samsung NC10 and the eee 1000H (identical spec machines) are the netbooks of choice. Mine has survived being carried in pod bags on the trike, just wrapped in a jumper.

peanut

this is what I use.
http://rathwjj.gfxtm.com/xubuntu-904-experienced-with-my-fujitsu-p-1030/
it has an 8 " screen which is touch screen so you can use your finger or the screen pen as well as the built in mouse.
Brilliant for movies ,

I have installed Fritz chess program , an MP3 jukebox with dozens of albums and several movies which really makes excellent use of the touch screen.
I also transfer my digital images and video to the notebook for editing and storage

They are rather old now 6 years + but still run Windows XP .
You can use a PCMCIA Netgear wireless card for Wi-Fi hotspots or use a 3G card to surf from your tent.

Chris that netbook looks awesome. I've never seen a netbook running on AA batteries.

I guess you could take apart a USB dongle and fit the board into the internal USB port of the netbook from Thailand Chris mentioned

NickC

Asus Eee PC 901 running Windows XP. With solid state storage it's not vulnerable to vibration and is reliable even after bouncing around a bit. And its 16 gigs memory capacity makes it adequate for words and pictures. (Pity mine's got only the Dutch version of XP though; it slows me down a little.)

xilios

Veteran
+2 for the Asus eee. Took it with us on a short tour this spring and it worked great.
Also got a 16GB SD card in it for more storage and had a few films in it :ohmy:
All the comforts of home :blush:

jay clock

Massive member
I took an Acer Aspire One on tour - fab machine and better than the smaller Asus EEE 701 (i put my foot through the screen by mistake at home!)

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
I took an Acer Aspire One on tour - fab machine and better than the smaller Asus EEE 701 (i put my foot through the screen by mistake at home!)

It's a nice machine - if you can get used to the strange (at least to me) position of the clicky buttons at the sides of the touchpad.

Top Bottom