Nothing goes to plan.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Well today the bedroom should have been finished. But it's not. First of all the filler i used needed an extra coat to block it out. Never mind a better finish, or so i thought. My wall brushes have seen better days, but i thought they would do the job. No for some reason today the brush dragged and rolled some of the paint in places,, maybe it had not dried enough,but the weather has been dry. So i can see the brush strokes on the walls and ceiling in places. Me being me off i went to buy another four inch brush..Got to Homebase and not a four inch brush to be seen. So a three inch has to do. So a day off tomorrow let the paint harden off,,and as soon as the sun gets in to the back about 11-00 ish,off i will go again Fourth coat.It should look good.

screenman

Legendary Member
Had to 6 cost a wall yesterday, normally only buy paint from a trade center this one came from Wickes, I will bet they do not post my review.

Adam4868

Guru
Never gloss myself,I use something similar to dulux satinwood.Its easier to paint with and doesn't smell as bad.To messy gloss for me.Ive no patience !
As the weather's been good I've been doing outside work pointing,relaying flags and generally skiving in the garage.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Satinwood for the woodwork. It was Mrs P 's idea years ago. I was an old fashioned gloss man myself. But Mrs P prefers satinwood,and now i think it is great. Easy to apply great coverage,and does not smell as much.Anyway a day off today,apart from cleaning splashes off the wardrobe fronts,yes i did not cover them up. Tomorrow they will be covered,also a second coat of satinwood..Should be finished Monday afternoon as long as it's a good bright day. This final coat has got to go right.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I will have to try this water based gloss , never used it

It's far easier,still horrible job,dries quickly no odour

I hate glossing too, and used alternatives last time we decorated to avoid the dreading oil based gloss, but I found it's just not lasted the same, so this time I've gone back to traditional oil based gloss, (Leyland Trade Non-Drip), LINKY, and while it is still a $hitty job to do, I'm very impressed with the results, and the odour is virtually non-existent too.
As for rollers, with the panel doors I've been brushing the recessed areas then rollering the flat surfaces, and I'm very happy with the result. I've always used foam rollers for this, but I've found them to create bubbling of late, and when I needed some more last week Screwfix had none. The only ones they had were THESE Harris ones, a bit more money but my God they are brilliant, so I'll be sticking to these from now on :okay:

I'm doing all this decorating, (done the dining room, kitchen ceiling, vestibule, porch, stairs & landing, bathroom upto now!), and I wouldn't mind but we intend to move when we can :wacko: Still it should help us shift the house I suppose, and lets be honest, I've feck all else to do right now, so without Mrs Smoo cracking the whip I'd probably be doing this by now :banghead:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We always find that spending more on decorating materials does normally give better results

ie a few years ago we painted ceiling in two rooms both bubbled up quite badly with a couple of months so re did with better quality paint after removing the recently applied stuff and hey presto no bubbling and still looks good .

on a side note i hate decorating full stop

screenman

Legendary Member
I find the WB paint lasts well, stays white a lot longer and is easy and quick to apply, not forgetting if your car was made in the last 10 years it will have water based paint on it.

Top Bottom