England : Nottinghamshire Nottingham 100 - 23rd June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Think I got my fueling about right - loaded up with proteins and carbs the night before. Had packed jam sandwiches (old school) and a big bag of jelly tots. Had two bottles of High 5 Zero and a couple of spare tablets for refills on the course. The only thing I would change is my checking of the route. Got caught out with a big mouthful of jelly tots just before a big hill, which led to a comedy moment of me trying to eat them quickly whilst not ending up at the foot of the hill gasping for breath. I tend not to eat anything other than quick snacks in the saddle (will stop for sandwiches) but can drink there and still pedal.

Nice day here too - cycled in yesterday (the home - train - work route rather than all the way in) and today (same route). The legs are starting to recover now. Yesterday I just felt drained. Today was OK on the flat but tired too quickly on the climbs. Will hopefully be riding the full route in Thursday and Friday. I have at least sorted out the contact points. Carbon soled shoes on SL pedals, Spesch BG Gel gloves (and I can ride on the forearms when my hands need a rest) and a Spesch BG Romin saddle with Santini bib shorts and a hefty dollop of saddle creme!

For London - I'm catching the train from Leeds early Saturday and staying in a hotel in the Excel area of London Saturday night. Means I at least get a decent nights sleep. Getting up at 4:30 to get to Nottingham for 7am was not something I'd care to do again!

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Oh - London 100 - will be trying to arrange some sort of meetup for the Saturday afternoon for all the various CC'ers. Will put something on the London thread nearer the time.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Think I got my fueling about right - loaded up with proteins and carbs the night before. Had packed jam sandwiches (old school) and a big bag of jelly tots. Had two bottles of High 5 Zero and a couple of spare tablets for refills on the course. The only thing I would change is my checking of the route. Got caught out with a big mouthful of jelly tots just before a big hill, which led to a comedy moment of me trying to eat them quickly whilst not ending up at the foot of the hill gasping for breath. I tend not to eat anything other than quick snacks in the saddle (will stop for sandwiches) but can drink there and still pedal.

Nice day here too - cycled in yesterday (the home - train - work route rather than all the way in) and today (same route). The legs are starting to recover now. Yesterday I just felt drained. Today was OK on the flat but tired too quickly on the climbs. Will hopefully be riding the full route in Thursday and Friday. I have at least sorted out the contact points. Carbon soled shoes on SL pedals, Spesch BG Gel gloves (and I can ride on the forearms when my hands need a rest) and a Spesch BG Romin saddle with Santini bib shorts and a hefty dollop of saddle creme!

For London - I'm catching the train from Leeds early Saturday and staying in a hotel in the Excel area of London Saturday night. Means I at least get a decent nights sleep. Getting up at 4:30 to get to Nottingham for 7am was not something I'd care to do again!

Jelly tots. Haven't thought of those. I've tried jelly babies but they got soggy in the pocket. Friend of mine has suggested cheese and pickle or ham butties, squashed flat and cut into small pieces then wrapped in foil.

I also used high5 tabs in two bottles with extra in the saddle bag to mix at feed stations. Also, there's a bag that fits to a frame that's supposed to be good for storing gels etc rather than worrying about digging about in the back pocket. End to track one down I think due to my weak core strength although I'm working on that with Pilates :smile:

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Jelly tots. Haven't thought of those. I've tried jelly babies but they got soggy in the pocket. Friend of mine has suggested cheese and pickle or ham butties, squashed flat and cut into small pieces then wrapped in foil.

I also used high5 tabs in two bottles with extra in the saddle bag to mix at feed stations. Also, there's a bag that fits to a frame that's supposed to be good for storing gels etc rather than worrying about digging about in the back pocket. End to track one down I think due to my weak core strength although I'm working on that with Pilates :smile:
Hadn't thought of cheese. Might have to try that myself. Can't use gels. Have tried in the past and they just upset my stomach which then makes me quite weak. It's why I use the "old school" jam and bread regime! :smile: Can't go wrong with Jelly tots - sugar and jelly and small enough not to restrict your breathing!

I don't use a frame bag - I use the a large saddle bag and my back pockets! I've seen people with a really small saddle bag but TBH I'd prefer to carry the extra tools and kit. For me the benefits in not being standed in the middle of nowhere outweigh the aerodynamic gains you supposedly get.

One exercise I did for core earlier this year was with a bosu ball. Stand on it while doing russian deadlifts. Works just about every muscle you'll use whilst cycling in one routine.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
www.mybibnumber.com - there was a leaflet in the 'goodie bag'. Good luck finding yourself - there's hundreds of them :smile:
Might save that "joy" for tonight then!!
Must be "photo day" - just got one from the London 100 training ride I did recently!

Top Bottom