Novatec hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
The front wheel on my 2019 Vitus Energie has lateral play, looks like the bearings are shot. The wheels are WTB rims on Novatec hubs, are these serviceable?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Should be. Most Novatec hubs are sealed bearings. You just need to know the bearing size.

Big John

Guru
By the looks of it they have the model number on the hub in big lettering so you should be able to find replacement bearings without too much trouble. Then it's a case of finding an appropriate vid on YouTube to show you how to remove and replace them.

si_c

Guru
By the looks of it they have the model number on the hub in big lettering so you should be able to find replacement bearings without too much trouble. Then it's a case of finding an appropriate vid on YouTube to show you how to remove and replace them.
You'll need a bearing press to replace them - might be a job for your LBS if you don't want to invest in the tools yourself. Won't be too expensive though it's a 10 minute job.

Big John

Guru
I've replaced a number of sealed bearings and never used a bearing press. Unless Novatec are something exceptional you use what they advise in the YouTube vids - usually a piece of wood and rubber mallet. I've never had to worry about warranty issues because the wheels/bikes have been well out of warranty but if that's a concern then you have to make your own mind up on that one.

This is a rear wheel hub but you'll get the idea.

View: https://youtu.be/F-zfpPzfDM0

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Worth checking if your particular hub has any adjustment available; some of the sealed bearing hubs do, others dont. Some even claim to automatically adjust the bearing preload although I've never quite worked out how :wacko::laugh:

D

Deleted member 23692

Bearing presses can be easily fashion from sockets, bolts and washers, but still require care to ensure the don't go in at an angle.

Anyhoo, Novatec make numerous different models of hub so this might be useful http://www.nguide.eu/hubs

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom