Novelty value?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

I'm intrigued by that stealthed-up Orbea beast in the latest issue of C+; essentially, it's a road bike with disc brakes and a few other unusual features.

I was certain that come the Spring of 2008, a shiny new Bianchi would be mine, but now this odd machine has got under my skin and made me doubt my decision.

Is it just a passing phase, or am I subconcioulsy responding to something that others have spotted too?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I thought the overall rating was a pretty average, heavy machine or am I mistaken?

You're not being seduced by the sexy look of it are you?:blush:

I'd go for the Bianchi if I were you - a much more racy machine.

longers

Legendary Member
It looks a very interesting bike. I am a big fan of the stopping power of disc brakes and have no problem with them on that bike at all, at all and I expect to see lots more of this type of thing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stopping power on my 'old' center pull Dura Ace or 600 Caliper brakes are enough to send me over the bars, wet or dry, so don't see the point.

Road bikes are about aesthetics, MTB's can be ugly bruits, but road bikes can't !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As a poor weather commuter, then the lack or brake pad crud is an advantage - on a Hybrid they would be ideal, but not what is effectively a road bike ?

Personal choice really....

Tynan

Veteran
umm yes, you can only lock the wheel

I had disc brakes on my sadly departed hybrid and the advantage was that they performed better in the wet as they didn't pick up as much water

they did pick up grit and dirt mind

link to this horrid bike then ...

OP
OP
Big Bren

Big Bren

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The sooner disc brakes become standard on road bikes the better. I would love to use rims that are more aero profiled, lighter and don't wear out. A disc takes five minutes to change, a worn rim is a pain in the arse.

bonj2

disk brakes are heavier though, they'll never catch on for full-on racing bikes. maybe some 'normal' road bikes/commuting bikes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Many bikes now have to have weight added to make the minimum UCI limit, so it wouldn't really be a problem. If discs ever did become the norm on road bikes you could bet that designers would soon have the weight tumbling off anyway.

Top Bottom