Novice question -Upgrading, what first, second etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikeoupe

Hi,

This is really a generic question about the best order of component upgrades.

I've been getting back into cycling recently on a Gary Fisher Kaitai Hybrid (29er) and steadily been increasing my distance and stamina, I really like the bike as it makes a good fist of road, track and is capable of dragging my eldest around on her tag-a-long (just the kind of machine I need right now) I may look at a road bike to run along side it at a later date.

Thus far I've changed the pedals for a single sided SPD design, fitted an adjustable stem, BBB ergonomic grips, bar ends and today ordered a pair of 700x35c Halo Tourist tyres (a practically slick design) I did try some skinnier tyres but they were uncomfortable, the judder on some of my regular rides was distracting.

So now (and to the question) my mind is turning to other things such as wheels, cranks, forks etc etc but being a novice I'm not sure which actions bring about the biggest benefits; Is there a general rule of thumb as to what to upgrade first? and if so why? Is weight the primary factor to improved performance?

I don't know if I've asked the question very clearly but I hope you get my gist ..

Mike :smile:

Bigtwin

Well, you've got fit and tyres sorted, so you are off to a good start.

Depends what else is ropey. Anything not working/worn out - do that first.

Next best spend I'd say is wheels. Then drive chain and shifters - or forks if you are off-roading at all, but they're expensive and probably not a great return for the riding that it seems you are doing.

Weight isn't a big deal on a MTB - probably most of it's in the frame anyway, so there's not a lot you can do about that. Rotating weight in wheels is the best target.

On the other hand, whatever comes up first on eBay.For Sale.

Plax

Guru
Sounds like you've pretty much done all the first things you change on a bike!
On my hybrid I've changed the saddle & pedals, changed to slimmer tyres and added bar ends. If I was to change anything now it would possibly be the groupset (alivio) but I have no problems with it, so would only change it if it broke and I could pick up something better cheap (a new bike would be calling my name otherwise).
I've changed all the gear & brake cables, brake blocks, chain (also added a powerlink) & cassette as a matter of wear & tear. You might find an improvement in just changing the gear cables if yours haven't been changed in a while.

NickM

Veteran
I agree with Plax. Now that you've got the bike comfortable and functional, don't upgrade anything that isn't worn out. It makes no sense (unless you're rich, in which case just buy a better bike). Aftermarket component prices have become silly in the last few months.

Top Bottom