Novice tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hi guys,

I'm new to road biking, just a few weeks in, riding most days 11-15 miles.

My bike came with 23mm tyres, Vittoria Zaffiro, and I haven't been impressed, the ride is harsh, and one one ride I had three flats, two from riding over a pothole, and don't know where the third came from.

Not had any flats recently, but now I've noticed that the front has a bulge, which I can feel vibrating the front of the bike. I'm guessing I need to replace it.

Now I was thinking of upgrading the tyres anyway, to get some with better puncture protection. Also from what I've read, I'll certainly change to 25mm, for comfort, and better resilience on the crap roads round here.

I was thinking of the Conti GP 4000's, since they seem to be really highly rated, but my question is, should I be looking for a winter tyre, or maybe the Conti 4 Season? I want to continue to ride throughout the winter, and in the wet.

Oh, and I don't want to have to get a spare set of wheels for wet weather riding!

Thanks, David

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get the Vittoria Rubinos. They are the next grade up and much better tyres. I do many thousands of miles on them over the years with very few punctures.

BUT.. do yourself a favour. Get into the habit of checking your tyres before and after any ride. Dig out any crap that sticking to the tyre or it will work it's way in.

Kies

+1

I took Ian's advice and haven't looked back. Recently rode my bike across varied terrain on the fnrttc Brighton and had non issues. The wired versions are very good value for money.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Got the track pump. Any advice on the bulge? Appreciate the advice about the Vittoria Rubinos, so are the Conti GP 4 Seasons more than I need? To be honest I'd rather spend the extra money and have the peace of mind and less hassle. A couple of local guys I ride with sometimes have recommended them, don't know if the roads round her are especially bad!

eml1909

I'm a BIG fan of the Conti 4 Seasons 25mm - I have tried a number of different tyres and I find these the perfect solution for my needs (which are similar to yours, it seems). I use them for daily commuting (18 miles) and sportives all year round. They are strong, robust, good in the wet, but fast rolling (compared to equivalent tyres). Well worth the money.

YOu can usually pick them up at a good price here: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k373/a6540/grand-prix-4-season-25-mm.html?mfid=77

With potholes you can get snake-bite punctures (two small parallel cuts in the tube ) where the tyre has flatted against the edge of the hole and squashed the tube between.

Always pump up the tyre to the max pressure that is comfy for you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If there's a bulge in your tyre, block your ears when you first use the track pump because at 110 lbs that bulge is going to go BANG.

My own preferred tyre is Michelin Pro3 or Pro4, even better.

Top Bottom