Novice upgrade from 2016 Carrera Zelo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeTbaker

Hi all,

Apologies for asking a repetitive question, but the more I search online and via this forum at similar questions, the more I grow overwhelmed with choice...

I currently have a 2016 Carrera Zelo road bike which has been doing me well but I’m looking to take a slight upgrade as I want to start taking cycling more serious. I’m looking at the price range of around £500-£600 roughly

I cycle usually twice a week more so for sport/recreational reasons, not commuting. I do the same lap which equates to nearly 8 miles so not much at all, but definitely upping mileage from now on.

I have been looking at different options for a while, but thought it best to ask more experienced individuals for their opinions.

Cheers, Joe

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you want to upgrade?
For new currently given the lack of stock, your budget won’t really get you much better.
Why not spend the year cycling rather more/further and then perhaps consider (perhaps save a few more pennies too)

Maybe look at new wheels and tyres for your current bike If you have to buy something, but I can’t see it being worth it for 15 miles a week (your 8 miles can’t even take an hour)

OP
OP
J

JoeTbaker

What do you want to upgrade?
For new currently given the lack of stock, your budget won’t really get you much better.
Why not spend the year cycling rather more/further and then perhaps consider (perhaps save a few more pennies too)

Maybe look at new wheels and tyres for your current bike If you have to buy something, but I can’t see it being worth it for 15 miles a week (your 8 miles can’t even take an hour)

Thank you for your response

I don’t find my bike to be the most comfortable and smooth ride, also most importantly I feel like I could push more. More output, I don’t know how to explain that to be honest haha. Yeah I see your point, I wouldn’t mind going up a few hundred more, just considering my options is all.

Yeah my mileage is going up from this week, it’s not something I’ve actually ever properly tracked. Just did the route, got a sweat on (love those hills) and returned home. I’ll double that mileage over the next few weeks though. No, takes around 40 minutes but feels less than half of that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe look at something like a Specialized Allez or a Giant Contend but you’ll have to wait a while for them to hit the shops again

Presumably you’ve checked your current bike for anything that may be affecting the smoothness?

What tyres do you have? What condition are they in?
When was the chain and cassette last checked for wear?

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Have a look on the used market. Prices have risen recently owing to demand but it should still get you a good step up.

Hi all,

Apologies for asking a repetitive question, but the more I search online and via this forum at similar questions, the more I grow overwhelmed with choice...

I currently have a 2016 Carrera Zelo road bike which has been doing me well but I’m looking to take a slight upgrade as I want to start taking cycling more serious. I’m looking at the price range of around £500-£600 roughly

I cycle usually twice a week more so for sport/recreational reasons, not commuting. I do the same lap which equates to nearly 8 miles so not much at all, but definitely upping mileage from now on.

I have been looking at different options for a while, but thought it best to ask more experienced individuals for their opinions.

Cheers, Joe
There are reviews around mentioning the 'harsh ride' - but it is an entry level bike and around 12kg so not surprising. Have a look at Wilier's at Merlin Cycles, quality frame and carbon fork, certain sizes in stock. Bit over your budget but will be significantly better, under 10kg so you will notice on the hills :okay:
https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bikes-75267/

vickster

Legendary Member
There are reviews around mentioning the 'harsh ride' - but it is an entry level bike and around 12kg so not surprising. Have a look at Wilier's at Merlin Cycles, quality frame and carbon fork, certain sizes in stock. Bit over your budget but will be significantly better, under 10kg so you will notice on the hills :okay:
https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bikes-75267/
Presumably you meant this one
https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-montegrappa-tiagra-road-bike-190094.html

Wasn't sure if Joe was a chap or chapette, so left it vague to be PC :laugh:

I think its a bit of a looker as well?
1593696841000.png

OP
OP
J

JoeTbaker

Thank you all for your responses and opinions, all very much appreciated and noted. Hahahah I can confirm I am a “chap”

DRM

Guru
If there's a Decathlon near to you could be worth having a look at the Triban bikes, but to be fair anything will be better than the Zelos, it's a starter bike and quite heavy, unfortunately it's not worth spending on upgrades on it as the 7 speed Tourney is a freewheel rather than a cassette,so it would need new wheels, groupset, and the steel fork is very heavy, but expensive to replace with a carbon item, it'll be cheaper to sell it while prices are through the roof and put the money to a better spec bike.

Top Bottom