now decided (tdef spoiler)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
BS Froome was in the middle of the pack nowhere near fans see video. Petulant behaviour at best, should the yellow jersey be 'protected'? And if so why?

Can you imagine a grand prix race were everyone pulls up and waits whilst the championship leader as a tyre change due to a puncture or a new gearbox fitted due to mechanical failure?
Wether you agree or not is irrelevant.The majority of the riders in the group chose not to go with Aru.Should of just gone on his own if he could of ? It's not 'rules' is just a agreement of sorts.
As for the push,who knows ? Except the two of them.Aru isn't complaining,neither is Froome.
Get on with the race.....

could you imagine this happening now...

By the time he had reached the blacksmith's forge, Christophe, had lost two hours. The blacksmith offered to weld the broken fork back together, but a race official and managers of rival teams would not allow it. The rules were, that a rider was responsible for his own repairs, and outside assistance was prohibited. Christophe did the repairs while the blacksmith told him what to do. It took three hours to make the repair and the race judge penalised him 10 additional minutes - reduced later to three minutes - because he had allowed a seven year old boy to pump the bellows for him.
Christophe filled his pockets with bread and set off over two more mountains and eventually finished the Tour in seventh place.
The forks which cost Christophe the race were taken away by Peugeot. (his sponsor) He didn't see them again until a dying man bequeathed them to him more than 30 years later. Some reports say that Christophe broke his forks because he ran into a car on the descent.

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
just because it isn't done in one sport doesn't mean it that applies to a different sport, for what its worth I don't agree with waiting if they have a mechanical or whatever , I see it as just part of racing , but, that's the way they do it in cycling so I just accept it, wont stop me watching and enjoying it though
Likewise, nor will it alter my opinion of Froome.

jarlrmai

Veteran
It's not just Froome, its all the pro riders, they don't attack on mechanicals because they don't want it to happen to them, it's not like Froome is special in this regard, I remember Sky (2012 so Wiggins in yellow) neutralising the race when there were tacks on the road on the Mur de Péguère. In F1 there is a car makers competition, your mechanical reliability is part of the competition, in pro-cycling teams can carry as many spare bikes as they want, swap bikes around and there are neutral bikes and wheels and water. The organisers want to see racers riding bikes fast up and down hills, they don't want a competition between who got unlucky with a dodgy derailleur.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Indeed, it's more about respecting the mailliot jaune rather than a rider who happens to be in X place in the GC. I guess they'd hardly get a race going if they decided that the convention applied to say, the top 10 GC riders.

Adam4868

Guru
Nobody 'makes' them wait.Aru should have carried on if he felt like it.

Top Bottom