Now if TTs could just start up again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've been participating in club TTs for the past couple of years, improving quite a bit, and somehow winning fastest overall female (I had a good day, someone else had a bad day). I do them for a bit of fun, because who doesn't love turning themselves inside out for a short space of time. I've spent lockdown accumulating various new TT bits, including bike, wheels, aero helmet, and potentially have a skinsuit on the way. I just picked up my new wheels today. I know it's not the newest/fastest/flashes bike out there (and there isn't much choice for shorties). But it was in my budget and should suit me well. I'm aiming for a sub 23 on our club 8.3mile course.
20200619_121321.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Depending where you are they'll potentially run from mid-July.

I agree that small TT bikes are a bit rare. This is mine, with my other one that's loaned-out below:

DSCF4203_zpsicrkkvyu.jpg

DSCF6651.JPG

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Yes I'm looking forward to them returning, although I've hardly ridden since lock down. I'm sure it would be safe for our 10 series to resume. No hq, parking in quiet road. We could easily observe the two metre rule.

Did have a target of 13 TT's this year to make to the magic 500, but I guess that won't be until next year now.

Good morning,

Can I ask a simple question?

Why does it have to be an organised event?

When I was at school I used to do the club TTs, but now I live within about 5 miles of K46-10 so just go and do it when I want to.

Given that bike and skin suit makes so much difference riding a course alone seems like a reasonable substitute for a while.

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/course-details/k46-10

I stand pretty much no chance of setting a best time on an organised event as I have a road bike and ride mostly for fun with fast 10 miles being enough for me.

A recent set of results from the local club did have a few road bikes
https://wsjcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/WSJCC-2019-TT-Results-Severn-Stoke-13082019-v1.pdf

It's a slightly odd course, it doesn't start and end at the same place, it finishes with a small uphill and fast descent, silly/brave people can gain 15/20 seconds on a blind curve with a slippery man hole cover. :-)

Bye

Ian

DCLane

@IanSmithCSE they're organised - either formally via the CTT/other body or via a club - so there's confidence the time is correct. Just like Strava, which you could argue is an unofficial TT for a segment, it's easily manipulated. There will be a Strava segment for the course to give you an idea.

In terms of a competition you're only competing with yourself unless at the top end. And road bikes are common. My son did a TT on this a few months ago - coming 10th out of 30:

NY-TT_Tim.jpg

Last edited:
Morning,

I certainly get wanting to know what others did on the same day in the same weather.

As I ride through K46 a lot I am familiar with what is a windy day, a fast day etc, so unless I am bothered about winning on the day by a second or two I know what a fast time for that course on that day is.

As I hate organised fun, "on this day at that time you will do something and you will enjoy yourself", if I had some new "toys" I would just go to the course and try them out without waiting for an event. :-)

So I was a bit confused by the idea of needing to wait, the OP can or can not do a sub 23 whether anyone else is riding or not. :-)

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Morning,

I certainly get wanting to know what others did on the same day in the same weather.

As I ride through K46 a lot I am familiar with what is a windy day, a fast day etc, so unless I am bothered about winning on the day by a second or two I know what a fast time for that course on that day is.

As I hate organised fun, "on this day at that time you will do something and you will enjoy yourself", if I had some new "toys" I would just go to the course and try them out without waiting for an event. :-)

So I was a bit confused by the idea of needing to wait, the OP can or can not do a sub 23 whether anyone else is riding or not. :-)

Bye

Ian

I have been out on the bike (not since the new wheels were installed, but that's because I haven't had a chance). It's the atmosphere of a TT that gives you the extra adrenaline/speed boost.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I was the feed station and support car driver for my clubs last big attempt at the Ulster 100TT. My mate Jenny won :wub:

She was not doing that ride on that road on that day without support or timekeepers or marshalls or cheering motivation.

DCLane

@IanSmithCSE - my son rides TT's/hillcimbs because he's aiming to win his category (his 'proper' TT bike is in the photo below). Me? I ride because whilst I'm not going to come close to winning I enjoy the atmosphere of the event.

That's the difference between just doing it on your own with the Strava record and the event proper.

DSCF7003.JPG

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I find its a nice change to normal life . We can all blat about trying to get a good time on this road or that route but training for an event , buying kit to do it and waking up at 4AM to be there :blink: is part of the fun .
I also wont win anything but trying to beat my time and meeting up with club mates and making new mates from other clubs is why i do it .
Then there is the home made cakes at the end :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Top Bottom