Now I'm angry....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tuesday night I spent the evening sat next a decent guy who is chair of the cycle forum I'm secretary of. We don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, he's a keen, and very good, competitive club cyclist and hill climber I'm a beer swilling out of town commuter, he's CX, I'm mtb. He's about nine stone wet through, one of my legs probably weighs that much. We don't even really agree on cycling priorities but he's a great good cop to my slightly more abrasive bad cop. When he can shut me up we make a good team, and we make a good double act when it comes to charming the ladies of the local parish and community councils.

Wednesday he's out on his bike; he works compressed hours in the offices of a local insurance company, bam. Hit from the side by a car which sat behind give way lines at a side turning as he cycled on main road before running him down as he passed in front of it.

busted collar bone, busted ankle, wrecked bike. smashed helmet, frantic upset wife. There was a witness, driver admitted liability but it will take a week to find out if Surrey Police will prosecute.

FFS! That's the second in my circle to become a serious injury accident statistic via SMIDSY this year.

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
I honestly think there should be more CCTV cameras because apparently cameras on helmets can't be used as evidence (atleast that is what I've heard). People say cameras are intruding on our private lives but they deter crimes, and may make safer drivers because bad drivers just act like idiots when they are in cars. I've nearly been hit by a few cars before. One time I was so angry that I just pulled up beside them at a red light when they overtook me in a stupid manner that made me brake frantically, so I pulled my keys out and slash on his side. I take nothing from bad car drivers. I cycle safely and legally, car drivers should do the same. If they don't, meet mr key :smile:

I honestly think there should be more CCTV cameras because apparently cameras on helmets can't be used as evidence (atleast that is what I've heard).

I was chatting to a Police speed camera van man and he told me about how cyclists are using cameras on their bikes and how it's the same as an independent witness!

Greg, that sounds grim, that's not slow speed is it? I hope he feels heals soon.

Linford

Bad news for your mate :sad: - on the up side though, if a full admission of liability has been made, then that makes things so much easier. Compulsory excess will be more than a fine, and I expect if full liability has been already been admitted, the driver is carrying a fair amount of guilt over it (guilt being a good way of curbing behaviour)

I heard yesterday that one of my regular customers who I've dealt with for 15 years (near Newcastle) was hit off his MTB on Wednesday night. He has a lot of broken bones (shoulder and knee, but thankfully, the head injury he suffered was just superficial cuts).

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
I was chatting to a Police speed camera van man and he told me about how cyclists are using cameras on their bikes and how it's the same as an independent witness!

Greg, that sounds grim, that's not slow speed is it? I hope he feels heals soon.

Tomorrow I shall buy a camera...HD of course because that's how I roll.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry to hear this, I hope he will soon be feeling better & back on the bike. Cars inflict a lot of damage when drivers get it wrong.

Sounds like he was lucky to get away with just a broken ankle and collarbone. Hope he heals well and Surrey Police do their job properly.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Cars inflict a lot of damage when cyclists get it wrong as well.

Lets not assume we are always in the right.

I hope your mate is soon back on his bike Greg.

Steve

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cars inflict a lot of damage when cyclists get it wrong as well.

Lets not assume we are always in the right.

I hope your mate is soon back on his bike Greg.

Steve
Want to point out ANY assumptions in the OP? I'm all ears. Grateful for your good wishes but otherwise in this context the sentiments in your first two lines are a little misplaced.

Top Bottom