**NOW SORTED** Wanted - Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Not really too fussed about having the latest/greatest so was hoping to spend around £50 for a second hand model - just want something that can link to Strava and is in good working order.

theloafer

Legendary Member
got an edge 500 if that's any good ...(no mapping) ..as just got g/f an 810 just the head unit as she need the usb and mounts but there easy to get hold of ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No mapping but there is the option to follow a pre-loaded bread crumb trial.
I couldn't get that feature to work reliably. There are hundreds of people complaining online about the same kind of problems. I tried everything I could but finally admitted defeat. I got it to work for 30-50 km but it always started playing up on longer rides.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I couldn't get that feature to work reliably. There are hundreds of people complaining online about the same kind of problems. I tried everything I could but finally admitted defeat. I got it to work for 30-50 km but it always started playing up on longer rides.

Yup, the problem was any route that was more then 75 miles.
Anything below that I found it worked flawlessly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yup, the problem was any route that was more then 75 miles.
Anything below that I found it worked flawlessly.
Hmm, I would have been very happy with that. Most of my rides are shorter than that and even my longest were 140-145 miles so I would just split such a ride file into 2 parts, pre-cafe and post-cafe.

I tried different versions of Garmin firmware and preparing the gpx files in many different ways. Still got unreliable results.

Any tips?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It doesn't matter what mapping you use the results will still be the same. It's a flaw with the unit. I used lots of different mapping with the same results.
However not all the units were affected. It seemed to be luck of the draw wether you had one that worked with routing properly or not.

Anyway. The 500 are brilliant units for recording rides and stats. For that they work flawlessly.

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Sorted last week thanks to theloafer, who very kindly supplied a unit at a fair price and with extremely quick delivery. Brilliant.

Top Bottom