Now the freaking school are at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Maybe just point out that wearing a helmet is not legally required and as such he/she has no right to insist on pupils wearing one. By all means say that lights are compulsory and that they will not be allowed to ride home if they have no lights (still a little out of their jurisdiction, IMO) but helmets are worn by choice, not due to some Head Teacher's whim.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would want to know why they were seeking to enforce helmet use when it sounds as if ensuring that they had two working brakes might be more beneficial. According to that letter they will not be able to row if they haven't got lights/helmet but will if they don't have brakes:eek:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would just go along with the guys wishes, which as most of us will realise are sensible one's. Anything else may be seen as rocking the boat.

Mad at urage

I think the school is being great and doing the correct thing. I consider all this no proof, rotational weight, etc. to be a load of tosh.

Give me the figures about extra weight, how much further your head would travel because of it. Give me the results that say a head sliding along the ground at any speed will do better without a helmet on than one with a helmet on.
So you like, have proof* (that helmets work) do you? Care to share?

*Proof as in evidence that they work over the population as a whole, as per the OP, not anecdotes mind.

Bicycle

Ha ha ha! This is a beautiful demonstration of how things have changed since my school days.

In the 70s we were coached from a small launch. Once, when a boy cramped badly about 3 miles from the boathouse during a seat-racing session, he hopped into the coaching launch and the coach sculled his boat home. The boy had never steered a powered boat before and this was on a busy section of the Tideway. He lived, but I'm not sure how. Wot larks!

None of my children rows, but if they did I'd be quite happy for them to ride helmetless to a session. One of them trains helmetless on a bicycle, often with me taging behind in a helmet...

Although a wordy bastard myself, I am slightly troubled by the lumpy syntax and wobbly grammar of the letter's author. The scenario has a slight aroma of public school about it, but the written English of the letter suggests shop assistant on an ego trip.

Apart from the helmet malarkey, there is some sense in the letter. A little advice about visibility and maintenance cannot be a bad thing.

I'm sure a simple letter mentioning helmets, maintenance, lights, locks, reflective clothing and behaviour on the highway would be appreciated by all parents and would cover the school in terms of its perceived Duty of Care.

The Draconian 'sent home' thing seems ill-advised. We should be encouraging our youngsters to take part in physical activity, not using it's withdrawal as a sanction.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I would just go along with the guys wishes, which as most of us will realise are sensible one's. Anything else may be seen as rocking the boat.

And the devil will drag you under
By the sharp lapel of your checkered coat,
Sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down,

Sit down you're rockin' the boat.

OP
OP
N

Norm

Thanks, (nearly) all for the suggestions, I'll try to include them all (even screenman's) without running to 15 pages.

yello

The rowing bloke is clearly entitled to his own opinion. What concerns me most is not what he believes but the fact he is trying to impose it upon others.

I'd like to believe (and accept that I might be mistaken) that he cannot enforce his wishes. Attempting to do so is surely tantamount to discrimination.

siadwell

Guru
I'd like to believe (and accept that I might be mistaken) that he cannot enforce his wishes. Attempting to do so is surely tantamount to discrimination.

I don't think there are any laws that forbid discrimination unless demonstrably due to factors such as sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality and religion.

Hang on, what about Human Rights Act - Article 8 Right to Respect for Private and Family Life? If this person is trying to use something that happens outside of their remit to control those within their area of influence, that's meddling in your private life.

IANAL!

Alun

Guru
Cut/ I'm sure a simple letter mentioning helmets, maintenance, lights, locks, reflective clothing and behaviour on the highway would be appreciated by all parents and would cover the school in terms of its perceived Duty of Care. Cut/
I wonder what the school sees as it's Duty of Care? Surely it should not extend beyond the school gates (or in this case the rowing club fence) and school hours. Claiming to have a "Duty of Care" outside this could (IMO) leave the school open to possible legal action should there be an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom