Now the freaking school are at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I've just received this letter from the school:

Cycling to Rowing Activities and SAFETY Policy
From the 1st February 2012, it will be Boat Club policy that all boys who cycle on any type of bike to rowing activities MUST wear a helmet, and if it is dark MUST be using lights. If they do not have a helmet (and lights when dark) and cycle to a rowing activity, then they will not be allowed to participate, and instead will be sent home. Wearing a reflective or light coloured top is also advisable when dark.
NOTE:
Recently I have become concerned with the boys’ safety while cycling to and from school and rowing activities and with the condition of some of the bikes. Maintenance is important – having both sets of brakes working and tyres with some tread for example.
Many boys now have road racing bikes, which is great, and an enjoyable way to train. However these bikes are capable of speeds in excess of 40mph. Falling off at these speeds without a helmet on will likely (definitely!) result in serious head injuries (brain damage) or death. Please DO NOT let your son ride one of these bikes without a helmet.
Many of you will have heard that Mr. xxxx came off his bike while cycling to work before Christmas – no other vehicle was involved in his accident. His helmet without any doubt saved his life. He has been left with a broken neck and although will be okay in the long term, he faces several months of rehab including an operation. James Cracknell, 2‐time Olympic Champion also had a very serious accident while cycling in the USA. His helmet again saved his life. Mr xxx is the most experienced cyclist I know, having been on many cycling training camps during his rowing career, yet it still happened to him, and he was only cycling to work.
Peer pressure unfortunately means that many boys who would wear a helmet, do not. However by making it policy to be allowed to engage in rowing activities it is hoped this negative aspect will be removed.
Should you have any questions regarding Cycling and Safety Policies at the Boat Club, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Taking his last line at face value, I've put the following response together:
I apologise if this appears to be a bit of a rant, but you do invite a response if I have any questions about the cycling policies at the Boat Club.

I was very disappointed to see that helmet wearing has been made mandatory for members of the Boat Club.

I’m pleased to say that my son does always wear a helmet whilst cycling, so he shouldn’t be affected by this instruction. However, I have been interested in this issue for many years (I ride several thousand miles a year) and my own investigations into helmet use does oblige me to respond to your letter.

1. There is no statistical proof that wearing a helmet reduces death or injury across a population. One or two anecdotes or individual cases are simply not supported by any of the population-wide studies or by accident statistics in countries where helmet wearing has been made mandatory.It might be relevant to point out that, despite his accident, James Cracknell doesn’t always wear a helmet when cycling.
  2. Even if a piece of polystyrene on the head might help, it is only in limited circumstances and only, obviously, helps with head injuries. An impact with a moving vehicle will cause many other injuries and there is evidence that a cyclist or pedestrian wearing a helmet will ride in a more risky fashion than one without, increasing the risk of a collision.
  3. Risk transference, there is evidence that cars pass closer to helmeted cyclists. In the same way that people would be expected to drive more carefully if airbags were replaced with spikes, when a driver sees a cyclist wearing a helmet, many studies have shown that the driver will pass up to 50cm closer. Helmets are generally of little use in an accident with another vehicle (as the forces involved quickly overcome the protection from the polystyrene), so, whilst a helmet may help in an accident, it is conceivably more likely that a cyclist wearing a helmet will be involved in a collision.
  4. The increased size of a helmeted head might mean it would hit something that a bare scalp would miss.
  5. Helmets have snag points, which might make injuries worse and might cause injuries, such as whiplash, which would not happen at all to a bare head.
  6. Many helmets are badly fitted, thus rendering them even more likely to be useless or dangerous. There is no mention the helmets will be checked for correct fitting.
  7. Helmets make cycling appear dangerous, and it isn't as cyclists live longer, on average, than non-cyclists. The sort of falls and collisions which a helmet will mitigate are exactly the same falls that are possible for pedestrians, yet I have never seen anything advocating the mandatory wearing of helmets for pedestrians.
Studies have shown that vehicle drivers will give most room to someone wearing a long blonde wig, although I’m not sure that the school would advocate something like that for all pupils wishing to cycle.

Whilst I am thoroughly in favour of creating as risk-free an environment as possible, mandating the wearing of a helmet is not part of that. Training for cyclists and for drivers will provide much greater benefits and I am very concerned that obliging cyclists in the Boat Club to wear helmets may not only put people off the idea of rowing but it might make cycling appear to be a dangerous activity which fundamentally is not true.

This line bugs me:

*If they do not have a helmet (and lights when dark) and cycle to a rowing activity, then they will not be allowed to participate, and instead will be sent home*

Much better if it read "If they do not have a helmet (and lights when dark) and cycle to a rowing activity, then they will not be allowed to participate, and we will make contact with a parent or guardian to collect them, we will not send them home as this will endanger them further"

OP
OP
N

Norm

Good point, thanks, I'll add that before sending. :thumbsup:

I've added

I’m also very concerned that you will be sending home boys who don’t have the equipment which you deem necessary for them to cycle safely. It seems a bit strange to say that a helmet is required but, if you find someone without one, you will force them onto the roads. Would it not be “safer” to suggest that you would allow them to participate but ensure that their parents or guardians are informed so that they are collected after rowing.

I would point out that Mr xxx's broken neck could well be the result of wearing a helmet which makes the head both heavier and larger than it is without a helmet and that his statement about them being needed for cyclists riding at 40mph is nonsense as the helmets are only designed for impacts up to 12mph. 40mph is, the impact severity going as the square of the velocity, eleven times the maximum for which the helmet is designed and tested (a test that they only marginally pass). Might be also worth pointing out that there are many more head injuries per mile from walking than for cycling and that by encouraging some students to walk to avoid having to wear a helmet he is in fact increasing the risk of serious head injuries amongst his pupils and staff.

Finally I would suggest that a school's policies should be evidence based rather than based on ill-informed assumptions by the school and point him to the NCB publication by Tim Gill.

Alun

Guru
I hope the author of the letter from the school knows more about rowing than he? does about cycling!

screenman

Legendary Member
I think the school is being great and doing the correct thing. I consider all this no proof, rotational weight, etc. to be a load of tosh.

Give me the figures about extra weight, how much further your head would travel because of it. Give me the results that say a head sliding along the ground at any speed will do better without a helmet on than one with a helmet on.

dodgy

I don't usually participate in helmet debates, I have a life ;)

But - the most dangerous thing a cyclist can do is to stop cycling. Helmets don't come into it. The risk faced by a non helmet wearing cyclist (holding finger in the air) is probably lower than an ex cyclist who no longer takes exercise.

siadwell

Guru
"Many boys now have road racing bikes, which is great, and an enjoyable way to train. However these bikes are capable of speeds in excess of 40mph. Falling off at these speeds without a helmet on will likely (definitely!) result in serious head injuries (brain damage) or death. Please DO NOT let your son ride one of these bikes without a helmet."

Aren't helmets designed only to protect at speeds up to 12mph? Maybe you should refer him to the relevant testing standards.

screenman

Legendary Member
Siadwell, if you are doing say 20 mph and you fall of or have to do a sudden stop at what speed would your head hit the object, I would suggest at less than 20mph. Now does the helmet help the first 12mph or the second 12 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom