Noweight chain tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sloe

My rivet extractor weighs near on 100g, stripped down to its minimum. I really begrudge that, so I've never taken it. And never needed it, fortunately.

But is there some way of just bashing out the rivet of a knackered bit of chain with a rock and a toothbrush or something?

I've experimented with a hammer and a sharpened masonry nail but no joy.

Can then sort it with split links I DO carry.

The very lightest chain tool I ever encountered was the Finishline 'Chain Pup'. Easy to make even lighter by removing the alen key 'driver' and the 'Shi**no' shim, taking a hacksaw to the handle and a bit of random filing.

Ive got one. Its lush.
You cant have it.

sloe said:
My rivet extractor weighs near on 100g, stripped down to its minimum. I really begrudge that, so I've never taken it. And never needed it, fortunately.

But is there some way of just bashing out the rivet of a knackered bit of chain with a rock and a toothbrush or something?

I've experimented with a hammer and a sharpened masonry nail but no joy.

Can then sort it with split links I DO carry.

Why not go for a multitool like the Topeak Hummer? Contains a chain tool and pretty much everything else you need. You need quite a bit of force to get a chain pin out, so you probably are stuck with using a tool (as opposed to a hedgehog prickle and a beech nut or whatever). Is saving less than 100g that much of a worry? I hear you can make your pump lighter by drilling it too....;)

Mr Phoebus

Chuffy said:
Why not go for a multitool like the Topeak Hummer? Contains a chain tool and pretty much everything else you need. You need quite a bit of force to get a chain pin out, so you probably are stuck with using a tool (as opposed to a hedgehog prickle and a beech nut or whatever). Is saving less than 100g that much of a worry? I hear you can make your pump lighter by drilling it too....;)
LMAO. :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

sloe

Well I've just spent three hours, grinding, drilling and hacksawing it down to 30g.

That's 20g/hour.

If I keep this up for 8 hrs/day it'll take about 220 days to get the whole thing, bike, luggage, tools, clothes, down to zero grammes.

So now we know: the Naked Rambler is actually a touring cyclist taken to his logical conclusion !!

Now please, dont anyone write in and say "Oh you can pop those rivets with just a canny flick of a tent peg".

OP
OP
S

sloe

I have actually got a sawn-off toothbrush.

Oh the shame....

Mr Phoebus

Originally Posted by sloe
Well I've just spent three hours, grinding, drilling and hacksawing it down to 30g.

barq said:
Wow - I've got to see a photo of that. Can you post a picture of your customised chaintool online?

;) Me too. Please post a very light trimmed down JPG.

Top Bottom