NuBike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
But if you are aiming for an audience that actually know their stuff, you would have thought that the makers should know that they needed to do better.

I'm only interested in the design and engineering of this bike, i couldn't care less about the promo vid.
Whether i ever get to try one out, remains to be seen, but i wouldn't pass up the opportunity.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've just done a search for an article that I remember reading on this subject. It was a while ago and I've not re-read it but I do remember it being interesting. Here it is:
http://lefthandedcyclist.blogspot.com/2014/07/graeme-obrees-beastie-lure-of-linear.html

We're generally very quick on here to poo poo anything slightly off the mainstream. That video makes it easy to do. So best leave it to one side for the moment. I too would like a go on this bike. Even better, to borrow one for free for an extended period. But part with my cash? I'd be slower to do that.

Sharky

Guru
Intriguing, but unless backed up by tangible statistics, will never catch on. For instance if these bikes were to start winning races or breaking records or a substantial number of people started beating their PB's, then people would really start to think.

But would they get past the red tape of the UCI and be allowed to be used in the TdF or on the track?

rugby bloke

Veteran
Interesting - I've seen this crop up on a couple cycling Facebook groups as well. I'm in the skeptical camp, especially with regard to knee injuries,. My left knee has had more than its fair of sports injuries - rugby, skiing, unscheduled dismounts from bikes etc, to the stage that I have to walk down stairs sideways first thing in the morning ... However I'm always able to ride my bike pain free.
However I would love to have a play on one of these to see for myself if its worth the hype and the claims.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Slower, but better on hills. When Facet made the BioTCam 1000, they sort of adapted/ used the Alenax system. By the time the BioTour 2000 came along, it was made as a conventional bicycle. Live and learn.
spec_sheet.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
They built a pretty good bike, in the same factory in Chatsworth, CA, that made Scorpion BMX bicycles. Mine, a BioTour 2000, has conventional drive and lightweight frame, but no braze-ons and a claw mount derailleur in long forward facing drop outs, which makes me think it will be a great single-speed and 700C conversion project. I believe they were made of butted Reynolds 502. This is according to various accounts on the web. Facet, BTW, is what FRAM(auto parts maker) called itself for a few years.

Top Bottom