Nudity in a tri

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddydadbo

Unless it is an open water swim I would not wear a wet suit. I marshalled at a triathlon yesterday and there were two chaps in Edinburgh Open Water T shirts laughing about how they had spent ages trying to get their wetsuit off and apparently it was a real struggle. A pool will be too warm for a wetsuit so just swim in your cycling shorts, stop at T1, whip a towel over yourself and pop a running/cycling top on. :smile:

punkedmonkey

I picked up a More Miles Tri Suit on eBay for about £30 (like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290716981756?hlp=false#ht_1984wt_1253)... which is super cheap for a tri-suit. This one got Top Value Award from this http://www.triradar.com/gear/tri-suit-reviews-under-80/

I haven't done a tri in it yet (first one on Sept 30th). But I have cycled and run in it - was comfortable for both. Pay attention to the sizing advice. I normally buy XL stuff, but had to go a size up as they suggest and fits fine (nothing like this happening to motivate you to train more!). I am about a 5'11 (1.81cm) 48" chest and a gut to match-ish.

Hope that helps.

gb901

Hi Guys,

In my upcoming tri, it states that nudity is not allowed.

Does this mean that I can't show my torso, or just my nackers?

Ie, if I wear my cycling shorts under my wetsuit, but no jersey, I should be okay to unzip my wetsuit and pull it half way down whilst I run to the transition area? Or is showing my torso not acceptable, in that case I would wear a jersey under the wetsuit too?

I would keep the cycling shorts on that are under my wetsuit for the cycle and also the run.

Thanks in advance.[/quote
just finished 2nd season and cant ever recall any nudity - why would you take off your tri suit?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I picked up a More Miles Tri Suit on eBay for about £30 (like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290716981756?hlp=false#ht_1984wt_1253)... which is super cheap for a tri-suit. This one got Top Value Award from this http://www.triradar.com/gear/tri-suit-reviews-under-80/
Father Christmas brought me exactly the same trisuit. Having used it for my first tri last weekend, I can vouch for it being an excellent bit of kit.

When I arrived at the start, the car temperature gauge was reading 2C. I was somewhat concerned about exiting the nice warm pool into such chilly conditions at 7.30am, and accordingly left several extra layers in my kit box in transition - a cycling top, a windproof gilet, knee warmers, arm warmers, gloves, skullcap, socks...

In the event, I didn't need them - I was more concerned with just getting out of transition and on with the bike leg. Well, I put the windproof gilet on, mainly because there's a long fast descent shortly after the start of the bike leg, but I had to unzip it fairly soon because I was getting too warm. I think the adrenalin helps keep the cold off, not to mention the fact that the level of effort you're putting in (or should be putting in) also raises your body temperature pretty quickly.

Despite the cold, the trisuit dried off pretty quickly. I can also vouch for it being equally comfortable for swimming, cycling and running in. The only caveat is that it has very light padding (I believe this is standard for trisuits generally), which is fine by me but might cause problems if you like a lot of padding in your cycling shorts.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's an action shot - also note the use of a race belt, which is also highly recommended, especially if you're using a trisuit (you attach your race number to the belt rather than to your top and pop the belt on when you come out of the pool, with the number showing to the rear for the bike leg, then just spin it round to face front for the run):
trisuit.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd also advocate a race belt, as you can pop a couple of gels in. You then just swap it from front to back.

Also, elastic laces for the shoes are good for quick lacing.

Top Bottom