Nuke em all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Its been revealed that Britains Nuclear bombs could be armed with a bicycle lock key, so how many of us potentially had our fingers on the button.

Zoiders

It's a good job the terrorists of the time didn't know that you could work the lock with a Bic biro.
The Biro is the easy part

Defeating the heavily armed Royal Marines with it might have been somewhat more difficult

Zoiders

It must be said that these bombs dated back to the days of the V Force, keeping it simple was the key, getting the bomb through at all costs, needing two men to arm it could have been a problem, the biggest bang for crew survivabilty of an incursion on enemy turf was the idea

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think this is all very muddled. They are not making any distinction between Strategic and Tactical nuclear weapons. (The RAF didn't have any strategic weapons since the sixties). I can't believe every 155mm nuclear artillery shell deployed by the US in Germany during the cold war had to have a code sent to it from the President.

Even today I think Britain's Trident nuclear weapons are still autonomous. It's supposed to be to allow the Captain to do the 'right thing' even if all the command infrastructure had been destroyed in the UK. It's probably why the Captains' selection test is unbelievably rigorous. (The Perishers).

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tim Bennet. said:
Even today I think Britain's Trident nuclear weapons are still autonomous. It's supposed to be to allow the Captain to do the 'right thing' even if all the command infrastructure had been destroyed in the UK. It's probably why the Captains' selection test is unbelievably rigorous. (The Perishers).

Did you hear the feature on Today about it, last week? I hadn't realised just how isolated the subs were while on tour, I think I thought they were like ships and came into port somewhere or other everyso often, but they are actually completely cut off - they can recieve signals, but not send, as that would give their location away.... And the PM's orders for what do do if Britain is nuked are written in a letter and kept in a safe on board, so they have orders even if Britain and the PM are a smoking heap. And yes, one of the things they monitor is apparently whether Radio Four is still on air...

Pete

Arch said:
And yes, one of the things they monitor is apparently whether Radio Four is still on air...
I think what they really listen out for, is whether John Humphrys starts talking with an Arabic accent...

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
If we lose 'The Archers' we're doomed?
What a choice to make...:8:

'Ere! That's my family you're talking about!

girofan

The British do not have an independent nuclear detterent!!!
We have to wait for the Yanks with their special key made of bullshit before we can strike.
Been bombed with bullshit all me life! Never hurt me.

Top Bottom