Numb bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gelfy666

Über Member
I seem to get a numb genital region after cycling 10 miles.... Can't really feel the area at all.... Feeling comes back after I've stopped cycling.
1st I wondered if my cycling shorts were to tight, but these are xxxl and the largest I can find.
2nd is it just the weight? 120kg 40" waist.
Or
3rd is it saddle and saddle set up?

Not sure where to start.

Mrs M

Guru
I tilted my road saddle down a wee bit, made a big difference :smile:

Biking4Heart

Regular
I encountered this years back when riding.... Mine was a combination of 2 things:

#1 - Seat tilt as Mrs M stated in the previous post.
#2 - Seat height - The seat height was off slightly which was creating pressure point from not having adequate spacing.

I'm sure there are other possible factors... Those where the 2 i had to deal with and resolved them

Good Luck

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Another aspect is the padding in the shorts; Assos shorts imo have too much front padding, which causes this as well.

Start with saddle tilting down a little first, probably nowhere near as much as mine was here:

principia-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
I cycle to work most days but it's only 4.5 miles each way, and I'm not in cycling shorts then... That's why I wondered if the cycling shorts may be a bit restrictive.
I've always cycled... 40+ years

alicat

Legendary Member
What has changed since the numbness began eg thickness of sole of shoes? Could your saddle now be a smidgen too high or the reach too great.

May I ask how old you are and if you have had your prostate checked?

Kajjal

Guru
When I had the same it was due to the saddle being too narrow with not enough cutaway. Measuring my sit bones confirmed this.

Bought a specialized avatar saddle in widest size and no problems since.

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
What has changed since the numbness began eg thickness of sole of shoes? Could your saddle now be a smidgen too high or the reach too great.

May I ask how old you are and if you have had your prostate checked?
46 and yes .

I wear 3 different pairs of shoes so depends on the riding I'm doing, flats on MTB also clipless sometimes and spds on the gravel bike.

alicat

Legendary Member
Perhaps go see your GP if nothing has changed that might cause the numbness.

10 miles is too soon to be getting any pains while cycling.

CXRAndy

Guru
Stop using conventional saddles, I use ISM Adamo saddles on all my bikes, and they are fantastic. No numbness after 10 hours in the saddle :okay:

I am comparable to you size and weight, and always had this problem. It could be saddle position etc as some have said, but I'd put my money on it being the saddle shape/size itself . It is hard to find one that fits (I have tried about 10, of varying styles and prices) .. Softer isn't usually better either..

Generally I'd say you need one with a larger central cutout on it. The selle smp ones seem really good, the one I've settled with is basically the same shape as these but was a lot cheaper (it was about 80% cheaper) and I can now ride without stopping for 3 hours (about the longest I've gone without stepping off) and get no numbness or pain whatsoever.. I think the shape looks pretty cool also, but that's beside the point..

Your lbs might be able to offer advice on sizing etc of the ranges they stock, or even have some put aside that can be tried. Or you could look on eBay and try different ones - at least this way if they're no good you can have the choice of reselling and probably won't lose a lot of money etc..

The saddle I use was bought from China and cost me around £15 and is called a CLIMAX CX1366 Saddle. I bought a second which now adorns my sons bike which has basically become my commute bike as he never seems to use it anyway.. I will say that I bought this saddle to see if the selle smp shape worked for me, I'm so happy with it that I think I'm sold for life. Should I not be able to source another in the future I will shell out the extra for a "proper" selle smp..

Top Bottom