Numb fingers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been a a few 20-40 mile runs recently and on my drops (new bike) I am getting numb fingers. It tends to be on my right hand and mostly my index and middle finger. If I take my hand off the bar for minute or so it resolves, but 5-10 minutes back to the cycling and it's back.

I get it mainly when I am on the hoods, and I do try and move my hands around to stop it, but it doesn't seem to help much (and otherwise I am most comfortable on the hoods).

Any suggestions about how to stop this? My mitts are a bit old and I will be getting a new pair shortly with some extra padding. Will that help, or do I need to do something else?

col

Legendary Member
I get this too sometimes, but just change my hand position regularly, and also rest on the side of my hand for a bit, or sit up so no weight is on them too. Iv heard of gell padding for some gloves can help.

Mr Pig

I get really numb hands all the time. My hands get so bad I can't feel any of my fingers or even tell where they are. I often have to shake my hands when I know I'm going to have to change gear or brake!

I've tried thicker, soft grips, padded mitts and gloves and a more upright riding position to take some of the weight off of my hands. So far nothing has worked. Sorry to be a downer but best of luck, hope you find something that does it for you.

jayce

I change the position of my hands every few mins to stop the numbness it seems to work for me ,and i twitch my fingers to keep the blood flowing ,also you dont realise how tightly we hold the bars ,when climbing i hold on for dear life and grind

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hmm. Might just be part of the fun then.

I think your right Jayce that it is probably worse when climbing. I have caught myself holding the bar very tight!

I'll see if the new mitts make any difference...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The death grip was a problem for me initially and I know I still grip too hard at times. But I haven't had any numbness in hands for the last couple of months, including riding 50 and 100 miles in a day. My biggest problem had been weight distribution, the gripping too tight just exacerbated it.

To be honest fixing it made my head spin, by the time I'd read Sheldon, forums, other web sites and spoken to various people. I've now come to the conclusion that, moving forward, I'll set each bike up from the saddle forwards. Get saddle height and relation to cranks correct then address reach, height differential saddle/bars and bar angle. As these 3 aspects all impact each other tweaking can be a pain. I got myself an adjustable stem to trial different positions with the idea of going to a fixed stem once correct.

I was amazed by the difference a 5mm change, almost not noticeable to the naked eye, could make.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New gloves, and like above, don't hold the bars or hoods too tight.

Could also be that you are getting used to the road bike still, and you'll find there is very little hand pressure once your back strengthens up/get's used to the position.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oi! I've already got a strong back from judo, I'll have you know! :angry:

Seriously though your probably both right. I'm sure it will get better with practice and maybe slight tweaking of the handlebar/saddle angle might help.

The question is should I tweak one way or the other!?:angry:

Apart from that the fingers (and an occasional numbness in my toes, but that is probably because I am using SPD's and not race type pedals) I am finding it quite comfortable. That is surprising considering how bumpy the roads are!

jimboalee

Thoughts.

Riding "on the hoods" is not 'riding on the hoods' at all to be honest.
The fleshy bit of the thumb rests on the last bit of bar tape before the hoods and the thumb pads rest against the little pips which Shimano Flight Deck uses to cover the push buttons.

There is a nerve up the thumb which gets compressed and leads to numbness. Riding "on he hoods" with the fingers touching the brake levers is bad for the Carpal tunnel because this position pressurises the carpals themselves.

Gel gloves are a 'God-send'.

If the ride is known to be rough, two layers of sponge bar tape in the area of the REARWARD 'on the hoods' hand position helps too.

redjedi

Über Member
I had this during my recent 100 miler, and found the problem to be mainly in my little finger on my left hand.

I was using the Specialzed padded mitts, but found the large pad on the palm area was putting more pressure on the area. I swapped over to some basic mitts, with just a large thin pad across the whole palm a lot more comfortable. So try a few different pairs in a shop while sitting on your bike.

Unfortunately I think I have done some damage, because 3 weeks after the long ride my little finger still is right (not the same movement or strength that it used to have) so I think I need to go to the doctors and perhaps get a scan on it :becool: hopefully I haven't done any serious damage.

Mr Pig

My hands no longer have the grip strength that they used to have and I also suffer numb fingers at other times, quite often during the night. I never thought that it might have been caused by cycling!

Move the hoods. Loosen them and adjust in/out (not up/down) to what feels comfortable. My hoods always point slightly in. Right hand goes a bit numb if it's too straight but only on longer rides. I seem to recall suggesting this when you first mentioned hoods and drop bars. Try it.

Top Bottom