Numb fingers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually, looking at specialized's web site it seems that they are designed for ulnar nerve problems which would result in a numb pinky and ring finger. My numbness is in the index and middle fingers.

Oh I just have to be different! :biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
You guys are all talking about problems with the ULNAR NERVE and possibly the MEDIAN NERVE.

Numbness caused by pressure on the ULNAR NERVE is very common in cyclists.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

tundragumski said:
You guys are all talking about problems with the ULNAR NERVE and possibly the MEDIAN NERVE.

Actually it having a quick look at nerve anatomy, it seems that that I am having problems with the median nerve as it goes to the index middle and ring fingers, though mostly the ring and middle, which is where I am having my problem. I think a combination of padding and tilting the bars up (more weight further up the hand, might sort this out.

I'll keep you posted.

NickM

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
I get really numb hands all the time. My hands get so bad I can't feel any of my fingers or even tell where they are. I often have to shake my hands when I know I'm going to have to change gear or brake!
Blimey. If I suffered that badly I would have to give strong consideration to one of these.

tundragumski said:
Some sorts of cyclists...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

NickM said:
Blimey. If I suffered that badly I would have to give strong consideration to one of these.

Mine is that bad at the moment, but hopefully I will find a resolution by adjusting my position and possibly getting a pair of these. They are specifically designed with the medial nerve in mind. Not cheap with delivery charges though...

gavintc

Guru
Remember mags has just invested in a 'go-faster' machine. I do not think he is prepared to accept defeat and purchase a disabled carriage.:tongue::biggrin: Only joking, before I get flamed to hell by the recumbent owners.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have been using various mitts for years, I haven't had a problem with any of them until recently. I replaced my old Chiba mitts with a pair of Altura ones (because they were the best fitting mitt I could find locally). Now I am finding the gel padding gets uncomfortable after about 10 miles, it is a bit like using a gel saddle, too much padding can cause pressure problems...

threefingerjoe

Über Member
gavintc said:
Remember mags has just invested in a 'go-faster' machine. I do not think he is prepared to accept defeat and purchase a disabled carriage.:biggrin::biggrin: Only joking, before I get flamed to hell by the recumbent owners.

Not going to flame you, Gavin. I know you're joking.

But, seriously, I'd hate to see Dave give up cycling because of the common physical problems caused by the upright bike. I know, a lot of people are resistent to 'bents, but a lot of it is due to the misconception that a recumbent is slow. Wrong. All of the Human Powered Vehicle speed records are set on recumbents. Dave would quickly find that he will be faster on a 'bent, than he is on his "go fast" bike....and the numb hands problem would be gone.

Now, I can't promise that you will be faster on a 'bent than ANYONE. Heck, there are a LOT of cyclists faster than this old, fat man, no matter WHAT bikes we're riding. But, I can almost GUARANTEE that anyone will be faster on a recumbent than they are on an upright. Remember, 'bents were banned from racing for being too fast!

I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, (due to work, not cycling), and still suffer numbness on my commuter (a hybrid, with a very upright position). Since the surgery, the pain of CTS no longer wakes me up at night, but I still get the numbness when riding. When I ride with friends on their road bikes, (me on the 'bent), I see them dangling a hand, wiggling their fingers, trying to get the numbness to go away, and I can sympathise with them. On the 'bent, hand numbness is not an issue...at all....ever. I don't even need to wear gloves.

I think the prejudice against 'bents will eventually go away, just as it did with the upright bike. Riders of Penny-Farthings used to scoff at the riders of "safety bikes". It took about 30 years before the safety bike finally became the standard.

deejayen

Veteran
I’d be interested to know how you get on. I had a similar problem, and tried loads of things, none of which really worked. I think it’s mainly due to riding position, but I had two bikes with different positions, and my fingers went numb on both bikes. In my case it was mainly my left hand ring finger. With regard to bar cushioning, I found Grab-On foam was the best for me (better than BarPhat or Marsas). I went to the sports clinic and had treatment, including work on my neck and shoulders, which helped some of the more severe pain (I was getting ‘electric shocks’ through my hands when riding). However, it was really due to the nerve coming under pressure. I rode mainly on the drops, but riding on the tops or on the hoods still caused numb fingers.

In the end I bought a recumbent. I’ve not ridden a normal bike since last August, and the numbness has gone now. However, there are loads of disadvantages to recumbents (I find). Every so often I find myself browsing the Internet looking at proper bikes, and fancying all sorts, but I really couldn’t face having numb fingers again, and there’s no guarantee that even something like a Moulton or a ‘professionally-fitted flash bike’ wouldn’t cause the problem to flare up again.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I have been fiddling with the set up. I have pushed my saddle back and tilted it up a little. I have also tilted my bars down quite a bit. I had previously been tilting them up thinking that this would place more pressure on the top of the hand. However, I think it may have been placing more pressure on the palm.

On short commutes it feels better, i.e. less weight on my hands. However, the real test will come at the weekend on my training run. I'll let you know how I get on....

Greenbank

Über Member
Raising the bars will also help reduce the weight that you place on your hands, even 1cm can make a reasonable difference. Flipping the stem, or replacing it for a shorter one, or one with a greater angle, may be an idea.

Were you fitted for your new bike or was it an off the peg purchase?

Mr Pig

I would never ride a bent. In traffic it's bad enough being at eye level without it being even easier for the moron truck drivers to miss you and you can't ride them off road. So that's that.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Greenbank said:
Raising the bars will also help reduce the weight that you place on your hands, even 1cm can make a reasonable difference. Flipping the stem, or replacing it for a shorter one, or one with a greater angle, may be an idea.

Were you fitted for your new bike or was it an off the peg purchase?

I was fitted and at the time seemed ok. This seems to have developed since I've started pushing the speed and milage. I could certainly pop back and try a different stem etc, the LBS would be more than happy to help. It is just time that is against me. i don't have much time until the Trossachs Ton, and not much time to test any variations out. I'll see how the weekend goes...

Greenbank

Über Member
It's good that it was fitted, and that you've got a supportive LBS.

It's taken me quite a long time (2 years and 15,000km) to get my long distance bike setup to my liking. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty damn comfy from the start (I had a fitting when ordering it so the stem and steerer height were right). But a few changes here and there have made it even more comfier. Removing the drops and putting tri-bars and bullhorns were the major things (it's a fixed so I don't need to worry about gear levers).

I still get a numb finger but that's because I'm doing long distances and I'm too lazy to move my hands around the bars every so often. My left hand little finger has been numb/tingly ever since a 3 day 750km ride up to Edinburgh.

You'll get there eventually.

NickM

Veteran
deejayen said:
...In the end I bought a recumbent. I’ve not ridden a normal bike since last August, and the numbness has gone now. However, there are loads of disadvantages to recumbents (I find)...
Recumbents are very various - much more so than uprights suited to road riding. Perhaps, if you didn't try lots of different ones before buying, you haven't made the best choice for you first time round - it would be far from unusual...

Recumbents are not better than uprights, just different; so it's a swings-and-roundabouts comparison. What disadvantages of yours particularly disappoint you?

Top Bottom