Numb fingers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I think that if Bents were better than standard bikes more people would be riding them. On the Glasgow-Edinburgh, which was thousands of people, I saw one. for a short while I used to see one on the main road that passes my house. He looked very vulnerable as the tipper trucks thundered past him. Haven't seen one for years.

NickM

Veteran
I take it you've never tried one, then?

An odd position from which to condemn them :biggrin:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
I think that if Bents were better than standard bikes more people would be riding them.

I don't expect you to ever try a recumbent, since you're so dead-set against them. However, I'd like to offer a couple reasons to explain WHY you don't see too many of them.

1. They're generally more expensive than uprights, though, you can spend mucho dinero on an upright, too, as you well know.

2. They were banned from racing (too fast) back in the 1930s. Because of that, recumbent companies have no big-name racers to show in fancy marketing schemes.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Anyway, back on topic. Having tried a few things with minimal success, I am now fairly sure that I could do with my handlebars up a notch. My arms are probably too straight indicating that I have too much weight in my hands. I'll be taking the bike along to get a service later this week and I will ask if he can raise the bars a bit for me. I'll be having a couple of longish rides before the Ton, so hopefully I'll find out if this helps before the big day!

NickM

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
No. I've never tried flying an aerobatic plane either but observation and logic tell me that it's likely to carry more risk than staying on the ground.
Hmmm. Logic.

Tell me: when in a car, can you see road markings?

col

Legendary Member
I dont think you have as much control over a bent as an upright, so safety could be an issue,also they seem to take more room for storage, never mind that some would feel a twonk riding one as they are not as common as uprights. Personally Id love to have one, but its impractical for me, and I dont think it would be as safe as an upright because of the lesser ability with control. Just my opinion.

Mr Pig

threefingerjoe said:
They're generally more expensive and they were banned from racing.

If they had more inherent advantages they would be more popular, more would be produced and they would cost less. I think you overestimate the impact bicycle racing has on sales. The man on the street doesn't give a stuff about cycle racing, neither do most teenage kids, who buy most of the bikes.

I'm not saying they are no good, I'm sure that in some ways they are great things. However for the kind of riding I do they are useless. I don't need to try one to figure that out and I'm not about to try something that I know is totally unsuitable for my needs just to keep happy some guy on a mission! ;0)

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
I'm not about to try something that I know is totally unsuitable for my needs just to keep happy some guy on a mission! ;0)

Mr. Pig,

I hope that I'm mistaken, and that you are not implying that I want you to buy something unsuitable for your needs, etc, etc. and that I am that "man on a mission."

As I stated in the beginning of my message, I don't expect you to buy or try a recumbent. Only YOU know what is suitable for your purposes, and you've stated that you will never ride or buy a recumbent. I take you at your word. I ride a safety bike to work every day. I rode all winter, though, I will admit, that I rode the recumbent when the temp was -18, because it has a fairing, and the headwind that day was brutal. On that day, I judged the recumbent to be more suitable. I ride the safety bike when it is suitable for my purpose, and for commuting in traffic, that is the bike I prefer. On a long, weekend pleasure ride in the country, the recumbent is my choice, because of the comfort and ease of keeping up with my buddies on their road bikes.

I have not yet found the bike that is suitable for all purposes. Every bike is a compromise. Nor, am I a "man on a mission" to persuade others to buy an unsuitable bike. The OP was from a man who is suffering from hand numbness. I'm only advising him of one option to solve the problem. There may be many others. A recumbent will solve that problem.

Apeman

Über Member
I from similar suffered problems with circulation. Tried new gel mitts-no good . Mentioned to my doctor and he diagnosed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and I am off to hospital to get it fixed. Ihave it in both hands and will be off work for the next 12 weeks. Mind you I had to wait nearly 2 years for the operation!

Top Bottom