numb hand question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alci4

all the time i have been riding my apollo mogul i have had no probs but on a couple of rides now i have found on my voodoo bokor whlle riding i start to get pins and needles in my hands like they are going numb, i have fingerless gloves but it still happens

was wondering if anyone had any suggestions what may be causing it

thanks for any info or ideas

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
At any moment now, someone will come along and say that you need to swap parts and alter the position of your bars, saddle, head, stem, spacers etc...
but before you start spending money, try easing your grip on the bars, and moving your hands regularly.

Debian

You need to swap parts, alter the position of your bars and saddle, maybe even change your bars.....

;)

No, not really, sorry :cry:

I find this happens to me when I'm tense and hanging onto the bars for grim death.

As Steve said, try relaxing your grip a little first and see if that helps.

jimboalee

Steve Austin said:
and the booby prize goes to Jimbo. Congratulations

The guy has no problems with one bike, but experiences numb hands on another.

Set the bad bike up to closely resemble the good bike and see if it cures the problem. IT COSTS NOTHING.

Your remark was posted without explanation, reasoning or logic ( not a Vulcan trait ).
You really are an ignorant towrag.

zacklaws

Guru
jimboalee said:
The guy has no problems with one bike, but experiences numb hands on another.

Set the bad bike up to closely resemble the good bike and see if it cures the problem. IT COSTS NOTHING.

Your remark was posted without explanation, reasoning or logic ( not a Vulcan trait ).
You really are an ignorant towrag.

I totally agree with what you say, its common sense and no reasonable excuse to have been shot down for posting such.

Unless the correct answer is:- remove the handlebars

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I too had numb hands with my new bike. I went through the hand positions and easing of the grip and yes it made small difference.

But the real difference came when I swapped the poor handlebar grips for some Ergon ones and also when I swapped by cloth mitts for some gel padded ones.

Hands are much happier now.

jimboalee

Moodyman said:
I too had numb hands with my new bike. I went through the hand positions and easing of the grip and yes it made small difference.

But the real difference came when I swapped the poor handlebar grips for some Ergon ones and also when I swapped by cloth mitts for some gel padded ones.

Hands are much happier now.

This is merely 'bandaid' over the underlying problem.

Go for a ride on a penny-farthing with bare hands on timber handlebar grips. There SHOULDN'T be any discomfort.

You've got a modern bike. More reason for no hands discomfort.
Strip off the grips, don't wear gloves, adjust the bike until there is no discomfort. Replace grips and put your gloves back on and you should be able to ride until your feet go numb.

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
Go for a ride on a penny-farthing with bare hands on timber handlebar grips. There SHOULDN'T be any discomfort.
Exactly. I ride all day without gloves and usually only wear them when it is so hot that the bars get slippy with sweat. I never get numb hands, even after eight hours, thanks to a proper bike fitting session.

I did get pins and needles a while ago, which my physio diagnosed as a muscle imbalance in my forearms. She gave me an exercise gripping a tin of beans between little finger and thumb and raising and lowering my wrist with the forearm resting on the arm of an armchair. That sorted out the problem - YMMV, of course - and I've never had it since.

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
Exactly. I ride all day without gloves and usually only wear them when it is so hot that the bars get slippy with sweat. I never get numb hands, even after eight hours, thanks to a proper bike fitting session.

I did get pins and needles a while ago, which my physio diagnosed as a muscle imbalance in my forearms. She gave me an exercise gripping a tin of beans between little finger and thumb and raising and lowering my wrist with the forearm resting on the arm of an armchair. That sorted out the problem - YMMV, of course - and I've never had it since.

My doctor gave me some pills to help strengthen my forearms. I couldn't get the top off the bottle.

Top Bottom