Numb hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Can anyone help with a condition of numb hands while riding? When I started back on motorbikes 12-13 years ago, I used to get terrible numbness in my thumb and first two fingers, both hands. I changed bikes several times before I realised that the problem was with me and not the bikes. My doctor diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) and suggested an operation, but I wasn't keen on the risks involved and declined. As it happens, the condition got better over time and when I sold the last of the bikes last year it had pretty much cleared up. Now I am back on bicycles, the condition is back again, worse than before. On the Wisper (flat bars, upright ebike) it starts after about 40 minutes into the ride, although by taking my hands off the bars and wiggling my fingers I can keep it from getting too bad. On the Dawes (drop bars and leaning forward more) it starts after 20 minutes and gets so bad that I can barely change gear with the (damn) brifters. Having a short rest brings things back to normal, but something's obviously not right.

I think I have my riding position about right in terms of saddle height and position, and the bars on both bikes feel a comfortable distance away. There is obviously more weight on the bars on the Dawes because I am leaning forward more, and that is where the problem is worse. I try to keep my wrists as straight as possible, which helped a lot on the motorbikes. I can live with it as far as the Wisper is concerned, but it is spoiling my enjoyment of the road bike to some extent. I'm hoping someone here can offer an insight that might help. Part of it, I suspect, it that my core isn't strong enough, and I am taking all the weight of my upper body on my hands rather than with my back and core. Any helpful ideas or suggestions gratefully accepted.

You're right. You're putting too much weight into your hands. As your core strength increases this will become less of a problem. In the mean time just vary the position of your hands, from hoods, to drops, to bars, as much as you can, during your rides.

I vary my hand position all the time, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, unfortunately.
If you get a nice long straight piece of road, put your hands onto the flat bit of the drops, at the bottom. Then try and take the weight off by using your core. Your hands will be well away from the Brifters, and this can feel a bit:eek: at first, but it should help your hands recover a bit.

It's painful wrists for me so use aero bars to transfer the weight onto my elbows, I'm not time trialing so they are not set very low. Took a little getting used to but my wrists no longer hurt. I got the idea after seeing Steve Abraham's set up.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As above re padded gloves; plus gel pads on bars, good quality cork/gel bar tape, saddle further forwards, shorter stem, bars set higher, or any combination of these to give you a more "heads up" riding position.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lizard skins 3.2 tape and good gloves

Does it resolve once you get off the bike? If not, might want to see a doctor

Which fingers or part of the hand are going numb?

Yazzoo

As well as all the gel tape and gloves etc it may pay to tackle the problem from the other side as such - something like pilates or yoga or cycling specific stretches will help increase your core strength - its not instant but will be worth it in the end

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As well as all the gel tape and gloves etc it may pay to tackle the problem from the other side as such - something like pilates or yoga or cycling specific stretches will help increase your core strength - its not instant but will be worth it in the end

This ^

I had back surgery earlier in the year and part of my recovery involved pilates and yoga to strengthen my core. I am now more than happy to spend a long time with my hands barely resting on my bars where previously I suffered a little bit from cyclist's palsy.

Postmanhat

Have done a few sessions on the track recently and was getting a bit of numbness from riding on the drops all the time. Was told I had a weak core so have been working on that for the last month and it seems to have done the trick. One hour of fairly intensive kettlebell and medicine ball stuff, twice a week. Plus a bit of badly-executed yoga

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Some good ideas here, thanks. The gloves I use are slightly padded already, and the Dawes has probably the most padded bar tape I have ever used. It's really soft and squishy. The Wisper (where the problem is less) has hard but well-shaped ergo grips. Looking at the thing overall, the more upright bike causes fewer problems, so it's probably down to riding position and my own core fitness. I will try moving the saddle forward a bit and the bars up on the Dawes and see if that helps. However, I think the Pilates/yoga/core strength route is going to be the best option long-term. I had a motorcycle with quite a low riding position and got the same problem (which didn't occur on my trail bike, where I was more or less sitting upright). Someone advised me on a forum to grip the tank with my knees, and hey presto the problem went away. I'm sure all it was, was that by squeezing my legs together I was bringing my core muscles into play and supporting my upper body, taking most of the weight off my hands. Of course, without some serious training and/or practice, you can't do that all day. But I am sure that some exercise and training for Richard's middle bits will help. I am coming back into this from a very low level of fitness. My legs and lungs are responding magnificently, and perhaps it's time for the rest to catch up. The problem (numbness and a little pain) is confined to the thumb and first two fingers, which are the things served by the radial nerve, which is the one to get inflamed if your carpal tunnel is narrowed or damaged. Classic CTS. At its worst, I can brake by guesswork, but can't even feel the shift lever part of the brifters, and have to guide my fingers onto them by looking and then hope for the best. My fingers feel as big as sausages, and as if the sausages belong to someone else.

Thanks for some great thoughts!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I tuck my hand behind my back when resting and flexing it.

Seems to be slightly more effective than flexing with the hand hovering above the bars.

However, I think what I do equates to some obscure peloton signal.

So don't blame me if a roadie behind you crashes while you are doing it,

vickster

Legendary Member
See a doctor, given you say you've had CTS before

Simple exercise wise, you could try glute bridges squeezing a soft football between your legs for glutes and core activation. Lovely planks and sit ups other core options

Top Bottom